Acoustic-metal Dodos fly into FNR

Au will open for the Dodos at Friday Night Rock.

The Dodos is a band with a large wingspan, an example of music that unites. The leading men have a sound that reaches across many different genres.

Meric Long performed live shows around California, playing finger-style folk-blues on the acoustic guitar before meeting Kroeber, whose progressive metal-drummer roots add a drum line that complements the rhythmic finger-picking and highlights the group's percussion stylings. In the struggling indie-folk scene, The Dodos' sound is a unique one, indeed.

Pitchfork Media, a blog devoted to music news and album reviews, recently gave their take on "Visiter" (2008), The Dodos' most recent release.

"It's intriguing to wonder how they could incorporate their backgrounds in metal, African Ewe drumming and gamelan beyond a sense of rhythmic intensity," Ian Cohen of Pitchfork, which will be hosting The Dodos at its Music Festival in Chicago next summer, said.

The Dodos will be touring everywhere from North America to Europe until the middle of this month before they finally get back in time for Halloween: an occasion for which Pitchfork has already given the boys some advice.

"You knowwhat would be cool?" the blog prods. "You guys could go as some kind of rare bird!'

Musically, Long and Kroeber draw their inspiration and energy from their live performances and from each other.

"[The band] creates a compelling sound around an extremely talented acoustic guitar player," said Dodos enthusiast Danny Wiebicke'10. They refuse to adhere to any specific expectations or standards. In this sense, Wiebicke added, "I think they do a better job at that than most bands these days."

With Kroeber's masterful grasp of rhythm and percussion adding a special element to Long's acoustic expertise, the two create a music that is always unpredictable, but always cohesive -- a unique sound that may just jolt the indie scene (which has, incidentally, gone the way of the group's eponymous bird) back to life.

The best thing about The Dodos, however, is that their upcoming Dartmouth show is free, thanks to Friday Night Rock. FNR is a student organization on a mission -- and that mission, as General Manager Devin McManus put simply, is "to "bring nationally recognized bands to campus every Friday" and unify music lovers.

"[FNR is] a social organization ... outside of the Greek system where Dartmouth kids can find other students with similar interests in rock 'n' roll," McManus said.

McManus also pointed out that "more than a few campus bands have been formed" through FNR, an entirely student-run organization, which might be the best weeekend scene for untrained music fanatics and serious aspiring musicians alike.

According to Chris Geddis, the FNR member responsible for booking the Dodo's opener, the band Au, is well worth seeing and hearing, as well. With piano as the appetizer and a loud dose of guitar and drums for the main course, people who can't get enough good music just might get their fill this Friday.

The show begins Friday at 9 p.m., in Fuel.