Daily Debriefing

BlitzMail will be unavailable for a 15-hour period

beginning at 10:00 p.m. on Friday as part of scheduled maintenance of the College's storage area network, according to DartPulse, a College service which tracks outage information at the College. E-mails received through the system from outside clients will be delivered once the service has been restored. The outage will also affect the main Dartmouth web server and all of its hosted web sites, including the login page to Blackboard.

Two Vermont colleges, Champlain College and Woodbury College, plan to merge this fall to create The Woodbury Institute at Champlain College, the Associated Press reported on Thursday. For the upcoming academic year, Woodbury College's 125 working adult students will continue to attend classes at Woodbury and through the College's online programs, the Boston Globe reported, but Woodbury plans to sell its Montpelier, Vt., property eventually. Many of the faculty from Woodbury, all of whom serve in a part-time or adjunct capacity, will likely move to the new institute at Champlain College, which is located in Burlington, Vt., Woodbury College President Larry Mandel told the Associated Press. Officials from both colleges cited similarities in their respective universities' foci and said the merger will allow them to improve the breadth of their course offerings, according to the Globe. The merger will not include the transfer of any funds, the Globe reported.

President Bush signed legislation renewing the Higher Education Act, H.R. 4137, on Thursday, according to the Chronicle of Higher Education. The White House's announcement regarding Bush's signing of the legislation, which was passed by Congress following five years of debate and extensions, was made "unceremoniously" by the White House, the Chronicle reported. The law, which outlines federal higher education policy for the next five years, had previously drawn criticism from Secretary of Education Margaret Spellings for its provisions establishing new grant programs, which Spellings termed "costly, and duplicative," according to the Chronicle. The law also includes new reporting requirements for higher education institutions and provisions to eliminate student loan conflicts of interest and maintain federal student aid at for-profit colleges, according to the Chronicle.