The Seven Summer Essentials for 08X

Until this summer, I didn't realize how much a little sunshine and a high of 85 could brighten my day. My favorite part about the great weather has to be that my clothing options increase tenfold -- and they don't consists of thermal underwear, turtlenecks or boots. The breezy, warm weather affords us the pleasure of being creative, comfortable and even minimalistic. Here are the seven must-haves in your sophomore summer wardrobe to be the "it" girl on campus.

The Sundress

This staple epitomizes cool, comfortable chic even when it's 90 degrees outside, and you'll never look like you tried too hard. It is easy to wear, and depending on the cut, color and print, it works on all body types. Lots of ladies have been spotted on the Green, in class and in Collis wearing cotton dresses in floral print or ones with bright colors and jersey knits.

Sunglasses

With the sunny days upon us, sunglasses are a must-have for the season! While they come in a variety of styles, make sure you've got a pair that perfectly frames your face (and my motto is that bigger is better). If you aren't really into the "bug" look, aviators and retro sunglasses are great alternatives that are always fashion-forward.

Flip Flops

This summer essential should be a requirement for any girl this season. Flip flops are practical, easy to wear and they go with everything! Depending on the style, they instantly dress up or down any outfit and can take you straight from class to the river. Inexpensive black rubber flip flops are a necessity for 08X, but the rest is up to you. One word of caution: avoid wearing them in basements, unless you're sure you'll be coherent enough to wash your feet when you get home.

Strappy Sandals

While flip flops may be your standard shoe of the summer, if you really want to dress up an outfit, add a pair of strappy sandals. The "gladiator" style is in this season and can be worn with jeans, short shorts and even dresses. Personally, I love the metallic look in either silver or gold, but basic black or brown leather looks great too. Take it a step further with embellishments like stones or studded detail.

Short Shorts

This is a summer trend that's always worth trying (I know, I know..I can see some of your eyes rolling). But short shorts -- the ones that hit at the mid-thigh or a little above -- keep you cool on hot summer days while elongating your legs. I've seen girls wearing them in a variety of colors and pairing them with great flats and accessories. Be careful that you don't take this trend too far, though, or you'll end up looking trashy. Balance the shorts with a flowy tank top to complete the look and stay classy.

Bathing Suits

It's the summer. It's finally warm. The Connecticut River is in our backyard. All you need now is a cute bathing suit and you'll be set to take a study break on the docks. Bathing suits vary from individual to individual, but with the selection out in stores right now, it's easy to find one that's perfect you. Don't be afraid of fun prints and bright colors -- they look great on almost anyone. Just make sure that if you plan on going to the Ledges or Copper Mines, you have a secure bathing suit on to prevent any wardrobe malfunctions!

Accessories

Accessories can often complete a look and say a lot about one's style, and in the summer this is especially true. I've spotted many an 08X'er in silver, gold and stone jewelry around campus. Depending on the piece, you can dress up or dress down any outfit. And don't be afraid to mix and match styles and colors: whether it is a big cocktail ring or layered gold necklaces, chances are, the accessory can tie any look together. Just be careful to not over-do it or you'll get lost behind all the noise. streetstyle/2008/06/williamsburg?slide=5