Missing kayaker presumed dead

Robert Swantak, a resident of Bradford, Vt., was reported missing Thursday after failing to return from a kayaking trip on the Connecticut River. He is now presumed dead, according to the Valley News. Officers from several Vermont and New Hampshire agencies carried out an unsuccessful, 14-hour search for Swantak on Thursday and Friday.

Swantak's family members reported him missing to the Vermont State Police around 7 p.m. on Thursday when he did not return from his kayaking trip to collect fiddlehead ferns, Lt. Todd Bogardus of the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department, told The Valley News.

The search, which began Thursday evening, continued until after midnight and resumed Friday morning. The search was temporarily suspended Friday afternoon due to poor search conditions, WCAX news reported Friday. Debris floating on the river and the river's strong current and cloudy water have complicated the officers' search, according to The Valley News.

Bogardus said officials, who will continue ongoing boat patrols, remain optimistic that they still might find Swantak, the Valley News reported.

Officials hope Swantak swam to shore, but the river's fast current and cold water would make swimming difficult, Bogardus said. Family members described Swantack as an expert kayker but a novice swimmer, according to Bogardus.

"We haven't been able to locate any clues or any signs at all today to lead us to believe he's on land," Bogardus told The Valley News.

Bogardus added that searchers are making less of a "concentrated effort" to find Swantack than in the earlier Thursday and Friday searches.

It may take officials weeks to find Swantak's body if he drowned, Bogardus said.

Swantak's kayak was found overturned approximately four miles downstream from the point at which he entered the Connecticut River, The Valley News reported. Swantak had planned to collect ferns half a mile upstream from his entry point, Bogardus said.

Officials from the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department, Vermont State Police and the Vermont Fish and Wildlife Department participated in the search. A New Hampshire state police helicopter was also involved.

Calls to the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department, Vermont State Police and the Vermont Fish and Wildlife Department were not returned by press time.

Swantak owns River Spirit Designs, a company that manufactures handmade jewelry. He made his own jewelry at his home and held workshops on spirituality and relaxation at American Society of Dowsers conventions, according to the Valley News.