Hanover power outage jolts Saturday Green Key parties

Courtesy of Universal Pictures / via rebloggy.com

These students escaped disciplinary action, but 11 others were arrested by Hanover Police over the course of the weekend, according to Kevin Lahaye, Hanover Police communications officer. Lahaye would not disclose the specific offenses.

This year's Green Key weekend was comparable to previous years in terms of campus arrests, and the power failure did not greatly disrupt campus activities, Kinne said.

In comparison to this weekend's 11 arrests, nine students were arrested over Green Key in 2007 and 12 were arrested in 2006. The weekend also marked a return to normal numbers of arrests from an abnormally low three arrests during this year's Winter Carnival. Fewer alcohol-related incidents were reported this weekend than over Homecoming weekend in 2007, but the number was similar to other busy weekends over the Fall term.

This year, Saturday night was much quieter than Friday night of Green Key, Kinne said.

"I think people were tired by that time," he said.

The power outage, which originated off-campus, left many students without power for two hours, Kinne said. Emergency lights and other backup measures ameliorated some of the blackout's detrimental effects, he added, and Thayer Dining Hall regained power earlier than many of the residence halls.

"It was more of a nuisance than anything else," he said. "It kept us busy because a lot of systems had to be reset."

The blackout caused no major disruptions to Hanover Police's routine, although police officers had to direct traffic at intersections, Hanover Police dispatcher Tommy Goodwin said.

Students adjusted their schedules to work around the blackout on Saturday night, and Sigma Phi Epsilon and Kappa Kappa Kappa fraternities, among other fraternities, resorted to playing pong by candlelight until the power resumed, students said. Several students interviewed by The Dartmouth said they waited until the lights came on before going out or played "headlamp" or "flashlight" pong to pass the time.

Alpha Phi Alpha's step show continued with only minor interruptions, according to Sydney Scott '08, who attended the event. The Tabard co-ed fraternity almost canceled its disco party due to rumors that the blackout would last until 3 a.m., but the power returned before the party was scheduled to begin, Tabard member Mackenzie Howell '10 said in an e-mail to The Dartmouth.

While the blackout had minimal effects on campus, local restaurants said they may have lost business because of the outage.

Everything But Anchovies did not process 20 to 30 online orders until the blackout ended, according to president and founder Maureen Bogosian. A decrease in customers cost the restaurant an estimated $2,000 over the course of the night, she added. Nigel Lemming, owner of Murphy's On The Green, said the restaurant lost 20 percent of business when it closed at 11 p.m. as a precaution after two hours without power.

In addition to the unexpected blackout, Green Key kept College officials busy responding to more typical mishaps.

A flood in the basement of Bones Gate fraternity temporarily disrupted the fraternity's activities on Friday night. A pipe burst and sprayed water throughout the basement when a former member of Psi Upsilon fraternity hung from the pipe and tried to do pull-ups, according to many witnesses. The Hanover Fire Department evacuated the fraternity and repairmen came later that evening.

BG president Ian Murphy '09, though, said he did not recall the event.

"I'm not sure what you're referring to, but it sounds exciting," Murphy said in an e-mail to The Dartmouth.

Hanover Fire Chief Roger Bradley was unavailable for comment.

Kinne characterized the weekend as "active, but not outrageous." Health Services admitted three people to Dick's House for intoxication Friday and Saturday, Kinne said, and may have admitted an additional three people on Thursday, although Kinne said he was unsure of the exact number.

Safety and Security transported another student to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center for treatment for intoxication following a Good Samaritan call. There were three Good Samaritan calls over the course of the weekend, Kinne said.

Safety and Security also performed three "turnovers," in which officers entrust an of-age intoxicated student to a friend's care if the student is ambulatory and able to talk, according to Kinne.

Hanover Police intervened Friday night when an of-age, intoxicated male "became disruptive" at Dick's House. The male, who Kinne said was probably a student, refused to give nurses the information they needed to evaluate his condition. Hanover Police held the male in custody until the following morning for his own protection.

An alumnus broke his leg over the weekend in an incident unrelated to alcohol, Kinne said. The alumnus, who was not intoxicated, fell down the stairs in a fraternity Saturday night, although Kinne's records did not specify which fraternity. The alumnus was treated at DHMC, and Kinne said he believes the victim is recovering well.

Safety and Security also addressed a simple assault incident, which may have been alcohol-related, involving an altercation between an alumnus and a non-student, Kinne said. A single punch may have been thrown, he added, although he did know who may have punched by whom or who provoked the conflict.

Except for the power outage, everything proceeded as Safety and Security expected, Kinne said. Kinne praised campus organizations for "generally" managing the weekend's parties well.

"Everybody I've talked to seemed to enjoy themselves," he said. "I'm glad [Green Key] was as safe as it was."

Hanover Police Chief Nicholas Giaccone could not be reached for comment at press time.