Daily Debriefing

Admission rates across the Ivy League have dropped to record levels, The New York Times reported on Tuesday, including Dartmouth, which accepted 13 percent of its applicant pool. Harvard University accepted 7.1 percent of applicants, Yale University accepted 8.3 percent, Columbia University admitted 8.7 percent and Brown University also admitted 13 percent. The decline in admission rates is due, in part, to the increasing number of high school graduates, according to The Times, although many demographers believe this number will begin to decline in the next few years. Also seeing record lows were Bowdoin College and Georgetown University, which both admitted 18 percent of applicants. Other Ivy League schools may also have seen record numbers, but they have not yet released their statistics.

Colleges and universities throughout the country are beginning to take action against the rise in student gambling, according to the Christian Science Monitor. Forty percent of 18-to-22-year-olds gambled monthly in 2007, the Annenberg Public Policy Center reported. A number of college students have been forced to leave school after gambling beyond their means, the Monitor reported. Some schools, including a coalition of twelve colleges in Missouri, have initiated programs that address student gambling through freshman orientation programs, health surveys and emergency financial aid counseling.

Rick Bartasi, a vice president at Johnson Controls Inc., spoke about the challenges of operating a multi-national corporation in Europe at The Tuck School of Business Tuesday. Bartasi is the vice president of the company's Global Work Solutions division in Europe and the Middle East, which allows other companies to outsource maintenance and infrastructure to reduce costs. In his speech, Bartasi described the difficulties his company has faced due to the variety of languages, cultures and companies they have had to work with and how they have changed their management structure to a more flexible model in order to address these difficulties. He also discussed the steps his company has taken to increase morale and improve relationships with their large range of employees. Bartasi's speech is part of the Tuck Dialogues on Europe program, a three-part series run by the business school.