Students weigh social impact of AKA's return

Plans to re-establish the Dartmouth chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., an African-American organization, have raised questions about the impact the sorority will have on diversity in the Greek system and whether or not it will alter the balance between male and female social spaces on campus.

The Xi Lambda chapter of AKA, established at the College in 1983 and active until 2003, will begin recruiting new members in spring or fall 2008. During its 20 years at the College, Xi Lambda was a "high performing chapter," according to Fouad Saleet, associate director of Coed, Fraternity and Sorority system. The sorority won the Milton Sims Kramer Group award in 2003, an accolade given by the dean of the College to the best student organization on campus. The same year, Leah Wright '03, a member of AKA, won the Greek Woman of the Year award.

"AKA prides itself on sisterhood, and that was one of the best lessons that I learned from the organization -- sisterhood and service to mankind," said Wright, who has held regional and national positions within the organization. "I'm over the moon that there is a chapter back on Dartmouth's campus. The women will have the chance to be in an organization that meant so much to me and still means so much to me."

Wright's enthusiasm for the sorority's return is echoed by current members of the Greek system.

"I think it's a great addition to the Greek system," Abby Reed '08, president of Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, said. "This change will provide another space for women on campus, and I think they will respond well to it."

Reed said that she is not concerned that AKA will detract from the diversity of Kappa's membership. Instead, she said, the availability of another sorority will give women increased opportunities to find the organization that is right for them.

Erica Jones '08, a member of Delta Delta Delta sorority, said that if AKA had been on campus when she rushed, its presence could have impacted her decision of which sorority to join. The organization's smaller size, focus on community service and cultural significance all contribute to its appeal, she said.

"Coming into Dartmouth, I didn't even have that option of being in a sorority that my grandma was in because it wasn't here," Jones said.

Like Reed, Akosua Osei-Bobie '10, a member of Tri-Delt, said that she does not think AKA's return will decrease diversity in existing sororities but she thinks many black women who have not joined Greek houses might consider joining AKA.

Although female students of all ethnic backgrounds can become members of AKA, the organization's membership is primarily composed of black women. According to Rukayat Ariganjoye'10, an inactive member of Kappa, AKA's focus on black women, coupled with the historically small size of the Dartmouth chapter, means that its arrival may not drastically increase social options on campus for women.

"The fact that it's basically geared toward black women, everyone else on campus may feel a little uncomfortable," Ariganjoye said. "Realistically, is it going to provide a secondary source for women on this campus?"

According to Saleet, the return of AKA will help decrease the disparity in the number of fraternities and sororities on campus.

"The really great thing about this is that there will be 10 sororities on campus," Saleet said, referring to Sigma Lambda Upsilon Senoritas, Inc., and Alpha Pi Omega Sorority, Inc., in addition to the seven Panhellenic organizations.

"It's still in a deficit to the 16 fraternities, but what tends to happen is that it looks more disparate if you have seven Panhellenic organizations," he added.

The organization's physical location will also determine the impact it will have on social life at the College, Schuyler Mapp-Williams '08, a member of Tri-Delt, said.

"Will [the College] give them the kind of social space that can equalize them, or will they just be an organization that will meet in a room in Collis, or will they start with an apartment in Channing Cox like the Alphas have?" Mapp-Williams said. "That's really meaningful to know that you're recognized on this campus."

While the physical plant of AKA was in the River apartments until 2003, determining a location for the re-established chapter will be the responsibility of the organization's new members, not the College, Saleet said.

When AKA returns, its rush procedure will differ from that of the seven Panhellenic organizations. After attending rush activities on campus, interested students must submit forms detailing their interest in AKA, as well as their campus and community service activities. Candidates must also maintain a C+ average, according to AKA's official website. The international organization then reviews the applications and determines which candidates can join. Despite the added requirement of a paper application as part of the process, unaffiliated black women are looking forward to joining, Osei-Bobie said

"I definitely think girls will take the time to fill out the application, especially because one, its history, and two, it makes things little more personal," Osei-Bobie said. "Just because they're asking for more information, it kind of increases the significance."