June 17, 2024 | Latest Issue

Scattered Questions

When I think of Moshe Leib Gray, I think of a younger, rabbinical Barack Obama. He's a charismatic leader that is hopeful for the future with a wife who is smarter than he.

Rembert: Can I call you Rabbi? Are you the Rabbi for Dartmouth? Who are you?

Rabbi Gray: I'm not the official College Rabbi; I am executive director of Chabad. Chabad falls under the Tucker Foundation.

Rembert: Where are you from, and how long have you been here at Dartmouth?

Gray: I was born in New York City but grew up in Seattle. I now consider myself a New Englander and a Hanover resident and have no plans of leaving. As for Dartmouth, I have been here for four years now.

R: Interesting. So you have some ties to both New York City and New England. Are you struggling with picking a team for the Super Bowl?

G: Absolutely not. I have no ties to New York City and am a huge New England Patriots fan.

R: As a religious man, do you think Tom Brady is a deity?

G: Let's just say I'd love to have him over for Chabad dinner. [Ans: Yes].

R: Okay, enough with sports, let's get down to the nitty gritty. On Facebook, it says you are "married" to someone with the same last name. Is that a coincidence or is that actually like, your wife?

G: She's actually my wife, and her name is Chani. She also works with Chabad. We have two kids together with a third on the way.

R: I also see we have 39 Facebook friends in common. I'd prefer that number to move down to 38. Would you rather I defriend Andrew Lebovich or Bret Tenenhaus?

G: Your call. If it was Dani Rothenberg, that'd be another story [Cue inside joke chuckle].

R: So, I tell a lot of people that my social life peaked in seveth grade, since I went to a Bar or Bat Mitzvah every Friday and Saturday night. For better or for worse, my party-to-service ratio was about eight-to-one. Do you think I have been to more parties than you?

G: Seattle did not really have the social life that you are describing so it's hard to answer. As for Hanover, same thing, even though we did Bar Mitzvah a Dartmouth student, which was great fun.

R: What's the ratio of times you have been to Israel to times you have been to Atlanta?

G: Seven-to-two.

R: Would you let Mike Vick come to Chabad dinners?

G: If Mike Vick had truly repented and changed for the better, then absolutely. He would be very welcome.

R: [Texting Mike Vick] Give me five adjectives to describe Chabad.

G: A home for students, good food, good times, good company and educational. [Note to self: explain the meaning of adjectives to Rabbi after interview].

R: Will you clarify a rumor for me? Is Birthright running out of money?

G: Birthright is not running out of money. They actually just received a $250 million gift. The program is fine. [Note to self: invest in Birthright].

R: I have always heard from students that you are a cool guy. What do you think the community's perception is of you?

G: The kids I know through Chabad know me as a fair, non-judgmental guy. In terms of the broader community, I get my fair share of press, but I really do not know what everyone else thinks of me.

R: What's your favorite type of music?

G: Not a huge music person. I do enjoy music that has meaningful lyrics. I will say I got a kick out of seeing the Matisyahu craze and seeing kids who had no idea what he was talking about really be into his music.

R: Are you backing a political candidate?

G: I have a flavor of the day; depending on the issue, I side with different candidates. I will say that I think Obama and Hillary will duke it out to the end.

R: Would you consider you and your wife as a power couple at Dartmouth? Do only James and Susan Wright stand in your way?

G: I'd say we are a power couple. My wife is the brains of the operation. As for the Wrights, they are great. I've never had Ms. Wright's cooking, but I'd make a bet my wife is the best cook in the Upper Valley. [Note to self: text Susan Wright; tell her it's on].

R: So I've been working on this pre-pubescent facial hair for three months now. Tips?

G: Sorry, I'm the wrong person to ask. I've been trying to fill out my face for 28 years now.

R: If you could improve one thing about my outfit, what would it be?

G: I'd put a Star on David on that necklace of yours.

R: I'm spent. Thanks man.