Mirror Spotlight: Julissa Llosa

This week, the spotlight's on Julissa Llosa '10, this year's director for the always sold-out student performances of The Vagina Monologues. She's also Programming Intern for the Center for Women & Gender. Warning: We aren't using "vajayjay" or any other wacky terms; it's called a vagina, 50% of the population has one, get over it.

Let's say I've never seen The Vagina Monologues. What is it about?

Eve Ensler, the creator of The Vagina Monologues, went around the world to interview women about their vaginas, so the play is based on stories about real women, like "Hair," the monologue by a women whose husband wanted her to shave, or "My Angry Vagina," which is about the oppression of one woman's vagina through things like douche spray and duck lips at the gynecologist's.

Is The Vagina Monologues meant to raise awareness or money?

It's to empower women through their vaginas. We've seen phallic images since the beginning of time but hardly ever representations of the vagina. Up until the '90s, you could say penis on TV but not vagina. Even today, women have a lot of shame about their vaginas... I mean, a lot of women don't even know where their clitoris is. Men know their penis, but how many women look at their vagina in the mirror?

I love that it's performed on Valentine's Day.

Vagina Day. Eve Ensler created V-day to end violence toward women and girls.

Why did you decide to direct it?

I love The Vagina Monologues; I watched it senior year in high school and it was such an awakening. I started to cultivate love for my vagina, and I performed in it my first year here, so I decided to direct it this year.

Did you pick the performers this year?

Yes. We had over 35 women audition, so we had to split a bunch of roles into two or even three performances.

Do you have a favorite monologue?

I have so many favorites. I'll just say "Reclaiming Cunt," because that's the one I did last year.

What do you do as programming intern?

I organize the events like the Sex Fest, Queer Movie Night and help with the visionary-in-residence. It's Eve Ensler this year for "V to the 10th," the 10-year anniversary of Vagina Monologues and V-day.

What did you think about meeting Eve Ensler?

She was a really inspirational speaker, and she has done so much for women all over the world. It was amazing to get to know her on a personal level.

Would you call yourself a feminist?

Oh yes. I think at Dartmouth we have a lot of strong women who wouldn't identify themselves as feminist because there's stigma attached to it, but to me, feminism is the idea that men and women should be equally valued.

How do you think Dartmouth is doing in terms of valuing women and men equally?

I agree with Eve Ensler, who said that we do have very strong women at Dartmouth but no revolution yet. We have no united force of women committed to the goals of feminism.

How can women contribute toward this?

I think one of the things women could do to contribute is to speak up in class, especially when they think something sexist is being said. And especially when it's being said by the professor, even if she or he doesn't mean it.