Daily Debriefing

Director of Publications Rick Adams presented a new computer program that will improve communication at the College at Tuesday's Student Assembly meeting. The application, called "Dartmouth Daily Updates," or D2U, will send College-wide emails announcing campus events and providing links to the new D2U website, which will provide in-depth descriptions. Adams said D2U is designed primarily for the administration, but added that the Office of Public Affairs plans to update the events calender to make it easier for students to submit material. He also said his department will discuss coordination with the new Assembly website as the project moves forward.

Grafton County delegates approved a $38 million correctional facility by one vote on Monday according to the Valley News. The new facility will replace a current jail, deemed inadequate and overcrowded by proponents of the new jail. Lebanon Rep. Gene Andersen cast the deciding vote and told the Valley News he and others were concerned with "the scope of the new facility and its associated operating costs." The new facility will cost $7 million to operate annually, twice the costs of the old jail. Prior to its approval, several delegates suggested alternatives to the current proposal, such as cutting the cost by $3 million. This would delay the project until the next building season, making it vulnerable to up to a seven percent increase in construction costs, according to Ben Harrington, the construction manager for the new facility. Rep. Burton Williams R-Bristol, said he favored postponing the project because of the current state of the national economy.