Bringing Racism Abroad

The Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. once pronounced, "Let freedom ring from the prodigious hilltops of New Hampshire" as he formulated his dream of an America free from racism. But what about Americans bringing racism abroad?

Monday's commemoration of King brought with it the hope of eliminating the lingering racial divides in America. But as American tourists flee snow and stress to visit paradisal tourist resorts, they often leave the words of King behind.

I joined many Americans in escaping the not-so-appealing weather of New Hampshire by spending my holiday in tropical Barbados. I went to see my high school roommate who lives there. My Bajan friends referred to me as a "ghetto tourist" -- someone who prefers to stay away from illustrious tourist resorts. As such, I was able to see the country through an unusual lens.

Through my interactions with the local population, I witnessed a racial divide between native Bajans in both groups' relations to the surge of wealthy, white tourists invading the country.

Barbados' colonial past may explain why Americans and Englishmen comprise the country's main tourist groups. British colonists settled in Barbados in 1727, and a British upper class has remained on the island ever since. Barbados attracts a large American population because it is close by and its main language is English.

Descendants of white colonialists and black slaves make up the two major groups on the island. Their history of conflict has proven difficult to overcome. The segregation of white and non-white Bajans remains prevalent; many whites choose to interact with white tourists rather than intermixing with non-white locals.

Ironically, there seems to be a widespread belief that white tourists and Bajans share more common experiences than white Bajans do with those of color -- regardless of the tourists' disparate places of origin.

I witnessed this racial divide in clubs, restaurants, movie theaters and other social spaces where I was constantly reminded of the history of the apartheid era and "whites only" establishments. I was repeatedly told by white Bajans to stay away from certain places because they were "too ghetto."

While Americans may be supportive of improving racial tensions within the United States, American tourists actively encourage racial divide in Barbados. Although racist attitudes may be subconscious, tourists exacerbate racial divides by demonstrating a desire to spend vacation with other westerners or whites. On numerous occasions, I was approached by Americans delighted to see "another white person" as we, apparently, "can relate to each other."

My white friend, who is Bajan herself, received the same greeting from various foreigners with whom her only common link was skin color. Several times, I overheard American tourists' "horror stories" of encounters with locals at the beach. Having to actually see Bajans in Barbados is, according to these westerners, considered a violation of their rights as tourists.

There is no one solution to racism in this country or abroad, nor do I propose to offer one; I suggest, however, that our collective mentality concerning skin color ultimately determines the direction in which we are heading.

By trusting the words of role models like King, we have managed to somewhat reduce racial divides in America.

We now need to implement these ideas into our everyday life by questioning our personal values concerning race and identity. We should have an open mind, wherever we go.

Skin color does not define who we are, and a preoccupation with race will limit our experiences abroad. When visiting countries like Barbados, I believe we are better off exploring all parts of the country rather than hiding in tourist resorts.

Fear of other cultures, skin colors, languages or dialects comes from a lack of knowledge that can only be overcome through experience. By exposing ourselves to new situations, we ultimately grow more open-minded, and we are able to confront racism away from "our own prodigious hilltops."