Now Playing in Hanover

Lions for Lambs

A sanctimonious piece of political propaganda, Robert Redford's new movie will disturb liberals who agree with its politics and delight conservatives who will tear it apart. Redford plays a grizzled professor trying to browbeat a student out of political apathy, while Tom Cruise and Meryl Streep spar over the Iraq War on Capitol Hill. In its least offensive moments, "Lions for Lambs" is boring and preachy; when the film moves from the halls of power into the field of battle, it descends into the exploitative and the ludicrous.

-- A.J. Fox

Mr. Magoriums Wonder Emporium

-- A.J. Fox

Into the Wild

Buzz on this movie has ranged from "it's god-awful boring" to "what a miraculous, beautiful feat of filmmaking!" I'm not exactly the DOC type, but I have to admit that the nature shots in this film make me want to skip down to Ledyard and hijack a canoe. Emile Hirsch plays our angsty entitled rich boy protagonist who donates his life savings to Oxfam in the name of living life to the fullest -- and he looks damn sexy doing it. Director Sean Penn's cast instills a human complexity from scene to shining scene. -- Meredith Fraser