Frame shop to open downtown

The new frame shop on Hanover's Main Street will also feature an art gallery and should open before Thanksgiving.

The Gilded Edge Frame Shop and Gallery, as its name implies, will double as a framing business and an art gallery. The store's grand opening will take place sometime near Thanksgiving and will feature a large reception displaying much of the gallery's artwork. Although Jenisch said that he has connections to bring in some pieces of art from across the country, he will focus on local artists' compositions for the time being.

Jenisch would like his store to cater to students in addition to Hanover residents. He plans on offering a selection of six pre-sized diploma frames for Dartmouth seniors to purchase before Commencement. When they receive their diplomas, they can bring them into the shop to be framed and shipped anywhere in the United States.

Another project Jenisch would like to launch is a Hanover-wide art walk. According to this plan, businesses throughout Hanover that regularly display artwork would stay open late on a Friday or Saturday night for patrons to walk through town and enjoy the art.

Initially, Jenisch will run the shop by himself, but he hopes to hire one or two employees when the business is up and running.

Jenisch's store will not be your run-of-the-mill frame shop. He hopes to purchase a few comfortable couches and chairs for his gallery to give people a place to relax.

"The feel I want my shop to convey is as another location for people to hang out and talk and do their homework while enjoying the artwork," Jenisch said.

Jenisch began framing after being approached by former Camera Shop owner Oscar Romero.

"I was working at Five Olde [Nugget Alley] waiting tables at the time," Jenisch said. "I came out for a lunch break, sitting out at the Dirt Cowboy, and Oscar asked me if I wanted a creative job. I had no idea it was going to be framing."

After working at the Camera Shop for a little over a month, Jenisch finished a framing project that changed his life.

"A woman came in with a memorial peace for her mother who had recently passed away," Jenisch said. "When she came back in, I showed it to her and she started to cry. That's when I knew framing was going to be my career."

For Jenisch, framing was more of a calling than a hobby.

"I let it consume my entire life for three and a half years," he said. "I was single for the entire time."

According to Jenisch, he bought the Camera Shop framing department from owner Dena Romero immediately after he was informed of the upcoming closure. A little over six weeks since Jenisch began drawing up plans for his store, he is almost ready to open.

"It's been an insane run to pull all of this together in such a short time," Jenisch said.

Although there are two alternative locations for buying frames in downtown Hanover, Jenisch says he is not worried about competition. He believes that he will maintain previous customers at the Camera Shop and that the location of his business is the most convenient in town.

At 35 years old, Jenisch has lived in the Upper Valley his entire life. His grandfather was a Dartmouth graduate and his father has taught at Hanover High School for about 38 years. Although Jenisch is first and foremost a framer, he is also an avid skier and artist.