Unconventional candidate stumps on Main Hanover

Presidential hopeful Robert Haines bellows

Although the "conservative independent" he said he would prefer to be interviewed by a man, Haines recently agreed to a one-on-one interview, provided it was taped because he "knows the media's dirty tricks."

This is not Haines' first campaign for president. He also ran in 1992, 1996 and 2004. While campaigning in Washington in October 1994, he was catapulted into the public sphere when he was one of the three men who wrestled Francisco Martin Duran to the ground after Duran's failed attempt to assasinate former President Bill Clinton.

This remains a point of contention for Haines, who claims that Kennith Davis, one of the men who reportedly helped stop Duran, actually had very little to do with tackling the man with the semi-automatic machine gun, as reported by the New York Times.

"The New York Times is wrong," Haines said, clarifying the issue "once and for all," and adding that the Times most likely collaborated with Davis.

In the past, Haines said he has worked as a dorm supervisor, chair of the mathematics department and dean of students at the Texas Military Institute, an Episcopal school in San Antonio, Texas.

Now, as part of his campaign efforts, Haines hosts a TV show, called "America," that runs Fridays at 7 p.m. on MCAM-23, a local public access network.

"I wanted the people to get the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth," Haines said. "Not what the mainstream media wants to tell the people."

"Take a shotgun and blow your TV off," he added, addressing the American public.

"The mainstream media is controlled by the Council on Foreign Relations, but now they've been beaten by the Lone Ranger," Haines said. "Now, I am the media."

Haines has a history of being dissatisfied with the mainstream media. In 1992, frustrated by what he perceived to be censorship in the media, Haines started his own publication, the Haines Washington Letter in 1992.

Recently, though, Haines has been busy campaigning. He's traveled to nine states, including New Hampshire, New York and Massachusetts. In New York, he campaigned at Federal Hall, across from the New York Stock Exchange, where there is a statue of George Washington with his hand outstretched. For about an hour and a half, Haines campaigned there, imitating Washington's pose and scanning for terrorists.

Although Haines says the New York Stock Exchange is "the number one Al-Qaeda target," since the night of the Hanover debates, he has been looking for anyone who could cause a threat to the Dartmouth community.

"I am the eyes and the ears of the Hanover police and the campus police," Haines said.

Haines went on to say that he was assured victory in Iowa, because his wife is from Iowa, among other reasons he refused to disclose at the risk of revealing his plans.

At this point in the interview, Haines noticed a purple Honda with Texas plates. Almost immediately, he concluded that the driver is a Democrat.

"They usually drive foreign cars," he explained.

Even so, he says, he wants her vote.

"I humbly ask for your votes, and the votes of all Americans," he said. "I am led by God Himself. It won't come easy, it's a lot of hard work. I come out here in the mornings before sunrise usually, and I go 'til 2:00 or 3:00 am."

The noose he carries will eventually have 13 loops. He adds one every time he visits a state that was part of the original 13 colonies. The noose, Haines said, is for Osama bin Laden.

"I'm going to have a neck-tie party for Osama bin Laden," Haines said. "After he's given a fair trial."