MLB playoff predictions from the guy who really knows

When my editor first asked me to write this year's Major League Baseball postseason preview, I was admittedly hesitant. I've never been a fan of prediction columns, as they have a way of eventually making the writer look foolish. In fact, the only thing I can confidently guarantee about this postseason is that we'll all be subjected to an endless stream of annoying Dane Cook commercials. That being said, I'm happy to present my 2007 playoff preview.

Already, we've witnessed some wild postseason baseball. While technically an extension of the regular season, the one-game tiebreaker between the Rockies and Padres more than lived up to its billing, and it certainly set the bar high for upcoming play. Colorado outlasted San Diego in extra innings, tagging future Hall-of-Fame pitcher Trevor Hoffman for three runs to clinch the Wild Card. By finishing 14-1, Colorado enters the playoffs as hot as any team in recent years. Unfortunately for them, they've only won themselves the opportunity to play the team that just completed one of the all-time great September comebacks in MLB history. All this, and I haven't even begun to mention the vastly superior American League.

The safest bet one could make this season would be that the World Series winner is coming out of the American League. Once again, the AL won the All-Star Game and the right to four home games in the Fall Classic. Moreover, each AL playoff team finished with a better record than the Diamondbacks, the team with the best record in the National League. Then again, everyone expected the World Series to go to the AL last year, but the Cardinals had other ideas. The Diamondbacks, Cubs, Phillies and Rockies are hoping history repeats itself. Still, it's tough to see any of these teams beating the Angels, Indians, Red Sox or the 26-time champs.

The Diamondbacks were the only team to finish with 90 victories in the NL. Not the most impressive statistic, but it did secure them home-field advantage for the first two rounds. Considering that they were 20 games better at home than they were on the road this season, this could prove to be a difference maker. Their playoff chances likely rest on the shoulders of reigning Cy Young Brandon Webb, who is arguably the best pitcher remaining in the National League now that Jake Peavy and the Padres have been eliminated.

Facing the Diamondbacks in the NLDS are the Chicago Cubs. Despite a torrid September from Alfonso Soriano, they come in as the weakest playoff team. With only 85 victories in the regular season, they're unlikely to intimidate anyone, especially when you consider that they have what amounts to the 12th best record in baseball. Unless Henry Rowengartner makes a surprise relief appearance, their prospects are less than bright.

Colorado, as we've already established, finished the season extremely hot. They've been led by MVP-candidate Matt Holliday, and will need him to deliver like he did with his game-tying triple against San Diego. Unfortunately, his health will remain questionable until he takes the field against Philadelphia after a rough game-winning slide. If he's less than 100 percent, Colorado better hope that ROY-hopeful Troy Tulowitzki doesn't wilt under the postseason spotlight.

While Holliday was busy presenting his MVP credentials on Monday, Philadelphia's Jimmy Rollins may have already done enough to secure the award. Becoming only the fourth player to join the 20-20-20-20 club, Rollins carried the Phillies for long stretches of the season, never letting them to quit even when the odds were stacked heavily against them.

Over in the American League, the Indians secured the best record on the last day of the season. They boast the most dangerous one-two pitching punch with C.C. Sabathia and Fausto Carmona. The Indians have a lot of talent, but despite how dominant they were in the Central down the stretch, they're far from overwhelming favorites in the AL.

Cleveland's reward for having the best record in baseball is far from fair. With baseball's best second half, the Yankees are an intimidating first round foe. Regardless of whether this is Alex Rodriguez's last season in pinstripes, he'll lead a lineup that is potent from top to bottom, able to nullify the Indian's pitching advantage. More importantly, the Yankees are hoping their regular season success against Cleveland, taking all six meetings with the tribe, translates into postseason results.

The Red Sox enter the postseason hoping history repeats itself as well. After being comfortably ahead in the East all season, the Sox faced a late challenge from New York. Still, despite the mistaken acquisition of Eric Gagne, they were able to keep their hold on the division. And their reward is a welcome one.

Going all the way back to 1986, the Red Sox have had the upper hand against the Angels. John Lackey will be asked to overcome historically bad numbers at Fenway. If he cannot, the Angels will need their lineup to step up in a big way, but we know the last thing they want is to get into a slugfest with David Ortiz, Manny Ramirez and the rest of the Sox.

As for my completely irrelevant and biased picks, I'll take the Diamonbacks, Rockies, Red Sox, and Yankees in the first round. I'll send New York and Colorado to the World Series. And I've got the Yankees' bats feasting in the mile-high city for a record 27th title.