Fraternities see rise in size of pledge classes

Pledge classes by fraternity.
Pledge classes by fraternity.

At press time, Alpha Chi Alpha fraternity had 24 men sink bids; Alpha Delta fraternity, 24; Chi Gamma Epsilon fraternity, 25; Chi Heorot fraternity, 27; Gamma Delta Chi fraternity, 21; Kappa Kappa Kappa fraternity, 23; Phi Delta Alpha fraternity, 17; Psi Upsilon fraternity, 31; Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity, 21; Sigma Nu fraternity, 15; Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity, 28; and Theta Delta Chi fraternity, 28.

"Rush went very smoothly, and there was a great turnout this year," said Interfraternity Council Vice President of Recruitment Thomas Healy '08. "As far as I know, there were no complaints and no problems."

Alpha Chi President Robert Shames '08 said he was pleased that Alpha Chi experienced an increase in the number of pledges.

"Being at the end of frat row, we try to have parties open to everyone to show that we're not insular, that we have a good time," Shames said. "We're very, very happy with the increase. There are a lot more people shaking out, more people interested."

The term "shaking out" refers to the part of men's rush in which potential members that a fraternity is their first choice.

Psi U's pledge class jumped from 16 fall pledges last year to 31 this year. According to Psi U President Michael Kreicher '08, the large turnout was expected after their successful rush events this fall.

"Each new member selected Psi U as their first choice and we believe that every single guy brings something meaningful to the house," Kreicher said. "As a house, we could not be more excited for the Fall term. Going forward, we will continue to bid up any individual who we feel will contribute positively to the house."

GDX was a newcomer to the fall pledge term this year. The fraternity, which boasts a large number of football players, held rush during Winter and Spring terms in the past to avoid pledge term conflicts during football season. This time, however, they decided to hold their rush in the fall in order to compete with the rest of the College, according to GDX President Ryan Mahoney '08.

"It's also good to get guys in the house earlier to get more acclimated, more responsibility, get to know the rules better," Mahoney said, adding that officers are elected in the spring so fall rush would give the men more time to observe officers' responsibilities.

"We don't have that vigorous of a pledge term. We're going to work around it," Mahoney said. "It's better to get guys involved sooner."