September 20, 2024 | Latest Issue

Football analysis: Can Dartmouth finally right its ship?

Big Green football will look to return to its early-season ground attack.

Dartmouth Head Coach Buddy Teevens cited his team's inability to generate pressure on the quarterback as the Big Green's biggest defensive shortcoming on Saturday. Saturday's contest with Holy Cross marked the third straight game in which the Big Green defense was unable to record a sack. Over the course of the season, the Dartmouth defense has accumulated just one sack, coming in the Big Green's 52-31 loss to the UNH Wildcats on Sept. 22. Dartmouth's opponents have racked up ten sacks -- another disturbing statistical disparity in what is quickly becoming a frustrating season. Now, does the Big Green's future success rides solely on its inability to put sufficient pressure on the quarterback? Certainly not, I would think. However, it is yet another chink in the team's armor that, if not corrected, will continue to contribute significantly to opposing team's gaudy offensive stat lines and ability to jump out to an early lead -- something that Teevens has emphasized as a primary concern he has had for his team from the beginning of the season.

In its first two games of the season, the Big Green rushing attack was arguably the motor that made the offense go, churning out 375 yards on the ground in the Big Green's first two contests. In the team's last three games, the offense has generated 268 yards rushing, a nearly 50 percent drop in production. The rushing attack's yards per carry has also seen a disturbingly precipitous drop over the past three games, falling from nearly five yards per carry in the first two games to 2.5 over the Big Green's last three outings.

The Big Green kicks off its remaining Ivy slate this Saturday against Columbia, one of two teams that still remains winless in Ivy play. While a win over one of the Ivy League's better squads would certainly be more satisfying than a win over the Lions, there is no denying that the Big Green, based on what we've seen the last couple weeks, isn't playing like a team capable of beating one of the Ivy League's better squads. Does the Big Green have what it takes to turn things around? The capacity to do so is certainly present -- there is a reason that Teevens, after the Big Green's opening contest versus Colgate, emphatically conveyed that this year's squad was a cut above those of years past. Dartmouth football is 1-1 in Ivy League action, which leaves them only one game behind the league leaders with plenty of football to play. So, despite the frustrating path the season has taken of late, and all the statistical shortcomings the team has recently faced, there is still reason to hope. Another loss this weekend, however, and that sense of hope may all but evaporate.