Daily Debriefing

The Recording Industry Association of America plans to file charges under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act against 30 students at the University of New Hampshire for illegally sharing music files, the UNH student paper reported Monday. The students received notice of the planned suit Oct. 18, along with 381 students from other colleges, as part of an expanded effort by the RIAA to curb illegal music sharing on college campuses. The students have until Nov. 7 to accept a $3,000 fine or be charged in federal court. DMCA complaints to UNH, which provides internet service to students, have increased by about 65 percent over last spring, according to university officials. At present, action has only been taken against those who provide music files for download, despite concerns that future infringement suits will target students on the receiving end of exchanges.

Three Harvard students uncovered two small parts of a printing press estimated to be over three centuries old when digging in Harvard Yard for their anthropology class last week, according to the Boston Globe. Archeologists currently believe that the printing press was used to make the first North American bible in 1661, which was written in various Native American dialects. The students found the parts in the rubble of what was once the Harvard Indian College -- evidence of a time past when founders believed that education could unite Native Americans and white settlers. Tobias Vanderhoop, who is a part of the tribal council of the Aquinnah Wampanoag of Martha's Vineyard, said that most people are unaware of this part of Harvard's history. It is believed that the remains of the Indian College still lie under what is now Harvard Yard. The site will continue to be excavated until late November.

Student Assembly voted to renew funding for Ivy Council, a group that attends a conference with delegates from all of the Ivy League colleges, at Tuesday night's Assembly meeting. The Assembly approved up to $700 to fund dues, transportation and other expenses for the delegates. "It's great that Student Assembly has agreed to continue supporting us," said Joe DeBonis '10, who cosponsored the legislation. The delegates to Ivy Council will author a book analyzing 10 to 12 common issues affecting the Ivy League colleges. "The book will be a great resource for Student Assembly," DeBonis said. Issues at Ivy Council this year will include upperclass advising, which the Dartmouth delegation suggested. The conference will take place at Yale University during the weekend of Nov. 2. Other current Assembly projects include a student-faculty mixer at Lone Pine Tavern, an improved Student Assembly website, a costume contest for area children next Wednesday and a mock Committee on Standards hearing. DeBonis is a member of The Dartmouth Staff.