Daily Debriefing

Three Hanover Police officers questioned residents of the second floor of Rauner residence hall in the McLaughlin Cluster on Monday regarding an alleged case of sexual assault reported on Sunday afternoon. Officers are investigating the details surrounding a floor party that took place on the floor Friday night and allegedly involved underage drinking in several dorm rooms. The sexual assault incident allegedly involved a male resident of that freshman floor and a woman who was not a student at Dartmouth.

"There is a person on this floor who has been charged with sexual assault," said Eric Bates, a detective with the Hanover Police department. "Friday evening there were parties in many rooms here, and people were basically going from room to room drinking."

Bates said that the underage drinking is not the focal point of the investigation. Officers asked residents about the events on Friday night and any actions of the suspect they may have observed. Although the Hanover Police department was unable to comment on the details, Police Chief Nicholas Giaccone said that thus far nothing is certain. "It is still an open investigation," he said.

Mary Lou Guerinot, professor of Biological Sciences, and Ambrose Cheung, professor of Microbiology and Immunology at Dartmouth Medical School, were made fellows of the American Association for the Advancement of Science earlier this month. They were among 471 members of the association to be named fellows. Both professors were nominated for the field of biological sciences -- Cheung for his contribution of bacterial virulence and molecular pathogenesis, and Guerinot for her contributions to the field of metals in biology and deciphering fundamental mechanisms for iron acquisition, distribution, and regulation in plants. AAAS is the world's largest scientific society and publishes the journal Science.

Two Harvard Students were taken into protective custody after a fight reportedly broke out at a party located in Lowell House dining hall, some time between midnight and 2 a.m on Monday night. The Boston Globe reported that the fight allegedly occurred at the "after-party" for the sixth annual "No Half Stepping Benefit Step Show," which was was hosted by the Harvard Society of Black Scientists and Engineers. University officials told the Globe that between 600 and 700 people attended the party, which was open all students with a college ID. After the fight broke out, attendees evacuated into the Lowell House courtyard and eventually out to the street.