College Picks

1) USC -- Dubbing a team "best in the land" is usually a tenuous task, particularly in the preseason. This year, however, it's a no-brainer. The Trojans are stacked on both sides of the ball, with Heisman hopeful John David Booty under center for an explosive, dynamic offense and the best linebacking core in the country anchoring an ultra-talented defense. It's no secret that Pete Carroll expects USC to bring home their third national title in the past four years. Frankly, no one can realistically doubt the Trojans, at least for now.

2) LSU -- Despite losing four future first round draft picks, the Tigers are the best team in the nation's toughest conference. Word around Shreveport is that junior quarterback Matt Flynn is the real deal. If he is, the Tiger offense will be amongst the best in the nation and LSU will be nearly impossible to beat. Either way, the defense is unquestionably the nation's premier unit, with a bevy of NFL-caliber talent. The Tigers have a tough road to hoe, starting with a September 8th showdown against defensive-minded Virginia Tech and continuing with the usual grueling SEC slate. LSU deserves to play for the national title if they can emerge from the regular season and SEC championship game with one loss.

3) Texas -- The burnt orange nation has high hopes for its Longhorns in 2007 after a disappointing 2006 season, and with good reason. The offense is loaded with talent, including second-year quarterback Colt McCoy (fresh off a record- setting freshman campaign), big play receiver Limas Sweed, and track-star fast running back Jamaal Charles. The Longhorn D will be tops in the Big 12, despite losing cornerback Aaron Ross and safety Michael Griffin to the first round of last spring's draft.

4) Florida -- The Gators are fresh off the school's first national title in 10 years, and the expectations down in the swamp are as high as ever for 2007. Tim Tebow displayed tremendous power running skills as a key role player in the Florida offense in 2006, but he will have a much bigger task in the upcoming season. He has the charge of leading the Gator offense as its primary signal caller, an endeavor that offensive genius Urban Meyer will hopefully facilitate for him. The Gator D will not quite be the dominant force that it was in 2006, but it will be amongst the best in the SEC.

5) West Virginia -- The Mountaineers aren't going to play much defense, which is usually troubling for a team garnering top five considerations. West Virginia is the exception. Rich Rodriguez's spread attack, led by nimble quarterback Pat White and lightning fast running back Steve Slaton, is going to give opposing coordinators fits. 70 percent of West Virginia's offensive plan is based around running the football, which will allow them to control the clock at key points in the game and, more importantly, keep their questionable defense off the field. The Mountaineers benefit from a relatively easy schedule, and it wouldn't be surprising at all to see them go undefeated. Anyone else smell another BCS controversy brewing? I'd still take a 12-1 LSU team over the Mountaineers to play for the national title. But hey, that's just my opinion.

Handicapping the Heisman

The race for the most prestigious honor in sports will be one for the ages in 2007, with viable candidates spanning the whole country. Here's a quick preview of the race.

Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas -- McFadden is the popular front runner, and understandably so. Fresh off a runner-up finish in 2006, the Razorback junior is poised to take home the hardware in 2007. He is the best running back college football has seen since Bo Jackson, combining excellent downhill running ability with top-notch quickness and a second gear few (if any) can match. If McFadden can flavor his season with the kind of versatility he displayed in 2006 as a return man and quarterback, voters will find him tough to resist.

John David Booty, QB, USC -- Since winning the Heisman is never an easy task, it's always nice to have a stellar supporting cast. Such is the case with Booty, who has loads of talent surrounding him on offense and a defense that will cause plenty of turnovers and allow him to play with the lead most of the time. If he can resolve consistency issues, play well in critical situations, and lead the Trojans to an undefeated season, can you really vote against him?

Other Candidates:

Desean Jackson,WR, Cal

Mike Hart, RB, Michigan

Steve Slaton, RB, West Virginia