Incoming freshman killed in home invasion

Hayley Petit, who was to be a member of the Dartmouth Class of 2011, was killed today when her home was invaded in Cheshire, Conn., according to the Hartford Courant. Her sister and mother, Michaela Petit and Jennifer Hawke-Petit, were also killed in the attack.

Hayley's father, William Petit, Jr. '78, was injured and is in serious but stable condition at St. Mary's Hospital in Waterbury, Conn.

The invasion started around 3 a.m. Monday morning. At 9 a.m., Hawke-Petit was pressured into driving to and withdrawing money from a local bank, where she was able to notify an employee that her family was being held hostage.

Upon arriving on the scene at the Petits' home, a police officer found the house burning. The suspects, whose names have not been released, then attempted to flee and hit the first officer's car before crashing into the two police cars other officers had set up as a roadblock. The suspects were promptly taken into custody. No officers were injured in the collisions.

William Petit is said to have stumbled out of the house afflicted by severe head wounds, apparently caused by beating. Petit walked to a neighbor's house, where he asked for help.

Hayley was 17 years old and graduated from Miss Porter's School, where she was co-editor in chief of the school's academic writing journal, according to the Courant. She was also co-captain of the crew team and a member of the basketball and cross country teams. A prominent figure on campus, Hayley was also the founder of a fundraising team called "Hayley's Hope," which raised money for multiple sclerosis. Hawke-Petit was diagnosed with MS eight years ago. "Hayley's Hope" raised $54,000 for MS over the past eight years, and Hayley was honored by Women Against MS this spring at Miss Porter's. Michaela was set to take over the group.