Daily Debriefing

Wednesday's sex screening in Collis, hosted by Dartmouth's student sex awareness group, the Sexperts, featured flavored lube tasting, condom exercises with dildos, rubber dental dam competitions and personal risk consultations. The event, which was inspired by Spring term's alcohol screening, aimed to inform students of both the sexual risks and resources on campus. Upon entering, students were provided with surveys, which they completed before speaking privately with a consultant. "We want people to talk about getting pleasure and giving pleasure," Jessica Lane '09, Sexpert member and organizer of the event, said. The event drew a smaller crowd than the alcohol screening, due to the smaller student population on campus during the summer. The event's attendees and organizers expressed hopes that it will become an annual event.

In an effort to provide a resource for small businesses that wish to maintain personal business profiles for free, David Wolkoff '05 recently launched an online social-networking and directory web site called MyLocalSpot.com. Wolkoff's inspiration for the site, which includes social features similar to Facebook and advertising resources like Craigslist, derived from his experience with insufficient search directories for local businesses in his area. "Just like millions of people use their profiles on social networking sites to update their friends on what they're up to, small businesses can use MyLocalSpot to keep their customers updated as to what's happening with their business without having to pay a web designer for every update," Wolkoff said in a recent press release

As early as September, a new website will be launched, intended to help prospective students and their parents evaluate private colleges and universities in the US, according to a recent article in The New York Times. The website is a result of the rising cost of college tuition, Congressional calls to make comparing colleges easier and the growing number of schools that refuse to participate in the U. S. News and World Reports annual college ranking, currently the largest compilation of information available to prospective students. The web site -- in development for over a year -- will include racial and ethnic breakdowns for each school, average student loans at graduation and average net tuition, which is calculated by subtracting scholarships and students loans from the full tuition. Other planned web sites will allow students to evaluate public colleges and universities and will include statistics on the number of applicants and accepted students at each school and the percentage of accepted students that choose to attend each college.