Toe to Toe: Is baseball America's game? (Schmidley)

I'll admit, if you had asked me only a matter of years ago, I would have told you that baseball was most assuredly America's game. In hindsight, I'm ashamed of my youthful lapse in judgment. The days when baseball unquestionably held the distinction of being America's pastime are over. There are a lot of angles I could work here in formulating an argument, but I'll limit myself to a few points to make sure Hodes isn't beaten too badly after last week's one-sided draft "debate."

First of all, let's talk about the 1994 strike. Granted, it was 13 years ago, but the devastating effects of the heartbreaking lockout that rocked a nation of loyal fans are still felt today. I can't imagine what it must have been like to be an Expos fan after the 1994 season, and be just a year removed from being robbed of a sure-bet NL East title, only to see your team never make the playoffs for the rest of its troubled existence.

And even if you're not an Expos fanatic, you can't deny that you were at least somewhat curious to see how far a team with Larry Walker, Moises Alou, Marquis Grissom, Ken Hill, John Wetteland and a young Pedro Martinez could go. I'm willing to bet their run would have involved a trip to the World Series.

In the years that followed the strike, baseball has experienced a widening payroll gap. As of this past year, the difference between baseball's highest (Yankees) and lowest (Devil Rays) paid teams was $171 million, a disturbing figure to say the least. The parity issues and ego inflation that have come with the salary explosion have fundamentally changed the face of the professional game.

Any discussion of the merits of baseball as worthy of the label "America's Game" has got to involve some talk about the steroid controversy. While the number of players found culpable still remains small, baseball fans everywhere have developed an unhealthy skepticism regarding MLB players and the use of steroids. Barry Bonds is 12 home runs shy of Hammerin' Hank's record, and it's a shame that when he surpasses Aaron, the record will be forever controversial. Baseball's most prolific slugger of the 1990's, Mark McGwire, practically admitted to using steroids at the infamous 2005 Senate subcommittee hearing that launched steroid use in baseball to the forefront of the nation's conscience. In addition to the drug controversy and widening payroll gaps, Team USA failed miserably in the World Baseball Classic, something that has crushed the pride of American baseball fans everywhere.

Baseball enjoyed a long run atop America's short list of "best games," but that run is over. Between a devastating lockout that crushed a franchise, payrolls skyrocketing to absurd levels, some very troubling steroid rumors and miserable failures in international competition, baseball has lost the momentum that carried it for so long. It is no longer America's game.