Green Key arrests down from 2006

Leo Nocentelli plays to an enthusiastic crowd in front of Phi Delta Alpha fraternity at the Block Party on Friday afternoon.

Hanover Police arrested nine individuals this Green Key weekend -- eight for intoxication and unlawful possession of alcohol -- a decrease from last year's 12 alcohol-related Green Key arrests. The amount of police activity was in tune with this year's Winter Carnival, which saw six alcohol-related arrests. The lone non-alcohol related arrest this weekend was made for driving after revocation or suspension of a license.

Of the seven arrested Dartmouth students, four were freshman women and the other three were male upperclassmen. Not one member of the Class of 2007 or any alumni were involved in police activity.

College Proctor and Director of Safety and Security Harry Kinne said that the weekend was busy but "nothing outrageous." He also noted that there were two or three Good Samaritan calls over the course of the weekend.

Nevertheless, members of Greek organizations, as well as partygoers, deemed the weekend successful.

"We prevailed even though weather was subpar," Alex Clementi '09, a member of AD, said. "[The lawn party] was a terrific success. The turnout was great, the band melted faces and everyone seemed to have a really good time."

This year's lawn party featured Bang Camaro, a metal rock band with 12 lead singers.

Chi Gam President Chase Carpenter '08 said that the weekend was a success for his organization.

"As soon as the party started at 11 [p.m. Friday night], the dance floor filled up and remained that way until 4 a.m.," Carpenter said. "I'd attribute the higher numbers to the craziness that is Green Key. The spillover effect from the block party in the afternoon has everyone in a good mood and ready to go out that night."

The rare hiccups this weekend came in the form of fire alarms. At the Chi Gam dance party, the fire alarm was set off shortly after Safety and Security's first walkthrough. Carpenter said he believes that the alarm was pulled by a member of the Class of 2010 who had been "causing problems in the basement" as Safety and Security officers were escorting him from the premises. Partygoers were forced to wait outside until members of the fire department cleared building.

At the party at Chi Heorot fraternity on Saturday night, the second floor fire alarm was pulled twice, forcing students to leave for 15 minutes each time, according to David Jones '08, one of the fraternity's social chairs.

Hanover Police Chief Nicholas Giaccone was not available for comment at press time.