Furstenberg looks back on his 17 years

Dean Karl Furstenberg
Dean Karl Furstenberg

Furstenberg stated that his decision to retire at this time stems from the current strength of the College's admissions and financial aid offices.

"We have really good people here, and the admissions and financial aid situations are strong. It's a good time for me to go," he said in September.

Maria Laskaris '84, the current director of admissions, is slated to replace Furstenberg this summer. Furstenberg said that because of Laskaris's expertise in the field of admissions, he is confident she will continue the College's admissions and financial aid success.

Among the challenges that he foresees for the future of Dartmouth admissions, Furstenberg listed the country's changing demographics and increasing competitiveness, as well as the College's continually growing applicant pool.

"Dartmouth isn't getting bigger -- there's a real squeeze, especially with the rapid growth in applications from around the world," he said.

The admissions office's switch to a paper-less online application process will present another challenge.

In regards to financial aid, Furstenberg noted that there is pressure on top-tier schools to provide more and more loans and scholarships.

"As of now, we have committed $55 million in scholarship assistance, but so [have] our competitors," he said.

Furstenberg pointed to the improvement of the College's domestic and international reputation and the quality and diversity of the incoming classes admitted each year as two of the highlights of his time at Dartmouth.

"I've always thought that the student body represents the future of the institution -- that admissions really seeks to recruit and enroll students based on the future-oriented values of the College, and I think we've really done a lot there," he said.

The outgoing dean played a large role in initiating positive changes in Dartmouth admissions. Such changes include the growth of the total applicant pool from 7,930 applicants in 1990, when he began serving as Dean, to 14,176 applicants in 2007. Minority and international representation have also jumped, rising from 18 to 33 percent and six to nine percent, respectively.

Financial aid assistance has increased as well, with 47 percent of the Class of 2011 receiving aid compared with 36 percent of the Class of 1994.

According to Furstenberg, other highlights of his time at the College include his ability to get to know students and having the opportunity to work with his colleagues in the admissions and financial aid offices.

"The people who work in the office are dedicated -- they just do so much work and really believe in the College," he said. "We couldn't have done what we've accomplished without a great staff."

Upon retiring, he and his wife intend to travel, but still live in in Lyme, N.H.

"I've been in higher education for just about 35 years now and I'm 62 and it just seemed like it was a good time to have a change of pace in life," Furstenberg said. "I feel like I'm finally going to have my Dartmouth plan."