Daily Debriefing

The Inter-Community Council, La Unidad Latina and Lambda Upsilon Lambda fraternity hosted the second annual Free Speech Forum in Tindle Lounge Monday night. At the forum, participants attempted to create a definition of free speech and discussed its role at Dartmouth and how it applies to society as a whole. The specific topics discussed at the forum vary annually. The forum encouraged respectful discussion of diverse opinions regarding free speech, while trained moderators facilitated roundtable discussions.

Gov. John Lynch signed the Renewable Energy Act in Concord, N.H., on Friday. The measure, which passed by a margin of 253 to 37 in the House and unanimously in the Senate, aims to create energy independence in New Hampshire with a stronger economy. In addition, the Renewable Energy Act works to end global warming for the future of New Hampshire. Looking ahead, the Act provides an opportunity to develop wind power, biomass energy and geothermal energy in the state.

Jonathan Marks, a biological anthropologist at the University of North Carolina, Charlotte, spoke at the Rockefeller Center Monday afternoon. Marks' lecture focused on the relationship between human nature and culture, as he argued that the two are inseparable. He also defined human nature as anti-Darwinian. The Robert A. '25 and Catherine L. McKennan Fund for Anthropology and the anthropology department sponsored the event.