New Brother Ali album lives up to past work, doesn't best it

Brother Ali's new album balances heartfelt lyrics with solid rap beats.

Perhaps Ali himself said it best, however, in an interview with Format Magazine. "That albino [stuff] might get me a ten minute listen," he recently stated, "but if I'm on my game [listeners] should forget all those surface details." He's absolutely correct.

Above being albino, hard of seeing and Muslim in a rap industry that is quick to pigeonhole, Brother Ali is a masterful MC. He's honest, he's witty, he's profound and he's original. Anything but ordinary, Ali tells stories that capture listeners with a no-nonsense flow over the entire course of his newest album, "The Undisputed Truth."

Produced by Atmosphere's Ant, "The Undisputed Truth" captures Brother Ali's signature bite and interesting bark with almost as much success as his 2003 sophomore masterpiece, "Shadows on the Sun" (If you haven't heard this album, run, don't walk, to your nearest record store). Highlights from "The Undisputed Truth" include the more radio-friendly single "Truth Is", the poignantly honest "Letter From The Government", and the relaxed, revealing "Here". Despite a few minor bumps, the album is fantastic from start to finish.

In one of the pinnacle tracks from "Shadows on the Sun", "Forest Whitiker", Ali raps about being different - albino, bald, overweight, poorly dressed and practically blind. He sends the song "To everyone out there who's a little different" repeating his mantra that individuals are just "God's fingerprints." He takes this to heart, and continues his blunt honesty throughout his third album, making it one of the most substantial records in recent memory.

The last three tracks of "Undisputed Truth", for example, focus on the life and times of Brother Ali, survivor of a failed marriage, lower middle class worker and devoted father. On "Walking Away", an emotional recap of his recent divorce, Ali states blatantly, "I don't love you/I don't think I ever did/and if you hadn't tried to kill me/I'd have stayed for the kid." The next track, "Faheem", is named after Brother Ali's son. The album's final track, "Ear to Ear", opens with the line "My ex-wife kept my son with me/I be smiling ear to ear/man this is something to see."

The emphasis on family in his raps is not mere posturing, however, and Ali's real life actions fill the big shoes outlined in his words. Indeed, during the recording of "Undisputed Truth", producer Ant would pick up Ali (his vision prevents him from driving) after his son Faheem fell asleep, and the two would create tracks and record demos in Ant's basement. Ali would be back in time to wake his son up for school at 6 a.m. This work ethic and dedication to his ideals bleeds through on every track, resulting in an album that is heartfelt and personal.

It would be unfair, however, to focus solely on the meaning of the tracks. In addition to being honest and profound, "The Undisputed Truth" is full of great beats, good rhymes, and completely listenable tracks. Mixing Ant's signature funky flavor with Ali's expressive voice creates a balance that is at once laid back and energetic, relaxed and up-tempo.

Tracks like "Uncle Sam Goddamn" slow the pace and show a production style unheard of on "Shadows on the Sun", while others like "Lookin' At Me Sideways" would fit in nicely on the album's predecessor. The beats of "The Puzzle", the hooks of "Truth Is", and the melodies of "Walking Away" root the album and turn an introspective discourse into a sonically pleasant album. Ant and Ali show on "The Undisputed Truth", as they did on "Shadows on the Sun", that it's possible to make a serious song over a lighthearted beat.

All in all, the album is a little less aggressive and a little more polished than Brother Ali's previous works. The self-calls and challenges found on every rap album are present here, but they seem less cocky and less sure than the gauntlets thrown on Ali's other albums. At times this is a positive change, but some tracks seem like they are just going through the motions, which waters down the record as a whole.

It would be tough for Brother Ali to top "Shadows on the Sun". He knows this and takes a step back on "The Undisputed Truth". He's more laid back, more contemplative, and more humble. But in the end, Ali is still a force to be reckoned with. He sums it up on "Lookin' At Me Sideways", mixing lines about teaching Faheem to read with comparisons to other MCs, saying "I defend to the death that I'm every bit as gangsta as them fools." Anyone who can balance grade school and gangsta is a champion in my book.