Daily Debriefing

Two of Dartmouth's College Bowl teams qualified for the National Academic Quiz Tournament's Division II intercollegiate championship. The College Bowl A-team placed second out of 32 teams in the NAQT's finals, recently held at the University of Minnesota-Minneapolis. The College Bowl B-team finished 21st, with three of four teammates, all freshmen. The A-team's Dominic Machado '09 won an All-Star scoring award for being the division's fourth-highest scorer. A-team members include Machado, Anirudh Jangalapalli '09, Randall Maas '09 and Aravind Reddy '09. The B-Team members are Robert Cousins '09, Kevin Karp '10, Ashley Walker '10 and Austin Zheng '10. College Bowl is a trivia competition between two teams of four with primarily academic questions that cover topics related to the humanities, sciences, and social sciences.

The University of New Hampshire announced that all students will be required to have health insurance beginning next school year. According to Cindy McGahey, director of finance and administration at UNH Health Services, nearly 1,800 UNH students are uninsured, the Concord Monitor reported. The new requirement follows a survey conducted last spring which found that students without health insurance often don't seek medical attention and opt not to get medical tests because they cannot afford to do so. Next school year, UNH will offer its own health insurance for around $115 per month. School officials expect around 3,000 students to buy the school health insurance.

Frank Westheimer '32, a professor of chemistry at Harvard University and former adviser to President Lyndon Johnson, passed away April 14 at the age of 95. Westheimer is considered to be a pioneer of molecular mechanics and electrostatic effects in organic chemistry. During the course of his career, Westheimer earned the highest level of recognitions, receiving the U.S. National Medal of Science, the Priestley Medal, and the U.S. National Academy Award in Chemical Sciences. Westheimer began his career after earning a Ph.D. from Harvard University in 1935, conducting research at Columbia University, teaching at the University of Chicago, and finally joining the Harvard faculty in 1954. In 1966 Westheimer served as Chairman of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences and advocated for federal support for chemical sciences. He is survived by his two daughters, Ruth and Ellen.