Soweto Choir spreads South African music with a message

"Life is good in Soweto, because we stay in love and peace. So let's dance with happiness."

So goes "Masigiye'bo," or "Let's Dance," a Zulu song from the Soweto Gospel Choir's second album. The South African musical group was founded in 2002 by musical director David Mulovhedzi and executive producer Beverly Bryer, who chose 26 talented individuals from auditions in the South West Townships, whose common acronym forms the group's name. The Soweto Choir's repertoire ranges from African gospel and traditional hymns to more secular arrangements. Eight languages in all are represented, from English to Zulu and Sotho. Monday's show in Spaulding Auditorium at the Hopkins Center will feature music from the group's first album, "Voices from Heaven."

Although the Soweto Gospel Choir is uniquely South African in spirit, its albums and live performances have been critically acclaimed and popularly received around the world. The New York Times describes the Soweto Gospel Choir as "meticulous and unstoppable ... spirited and spectacular." The choir reached such heights quickly -- only a year after its founding, the choir was honored at the 2003 American Gospel Music Awards as best gospel choir. Indeed, Monday's show is already sold out, in part due to the overwhelming success of the group's first appearance at the Hopkins Center in 2005. The show reaches audience members on every level -- aurally with its beautiful harmonies and pounding rhythms, visually with dance and brightly colored traditional costume and emotionally with the passion that each member brings to each song.

In addition to artistic merit, the Soweto Gospel Choir brings philanthropic achievement to the stage as well. The choir members are involved with AIDS relief, especially in their positions as ambassadors of Nelson Mandela's AIDS organization, 46664. In 2003, the choir founded its own AIDS foundation, geared specifically towards helping orphans, called Nkosi's Haven/Vukani. Vukani means "Wake Up!" in Xhosa, another of the choir's many languages.

The organization works to help orphanages that do not receive government funding or private aid. Each performance of the Soweto Gospel Choir, therefore, is not only a way to lower cultural barriers and spread African culture but a very successful fundraiser for the charity.

"They've far exceeded our expectations with the wonderful success they have achieved, both nationally and internationally," Bryer said in a 2007 press release. "They are a true reflection of what South African entertainers have to offer their audiences, and they make us all extremely proud of what they've achieved in such a short period of time."

Senior Staff member Caitlin Kelly contributed to this article.