Daily Debriefing

Dartmouth French Professor Vivian Kogan pled not guilty to the misdemeanor charge of shoplifting in her arraignment on March 13 in the Lebanon District Court. Kogan, who was represented by counsel in the arraignment, has been accused of stealing a reported $60 worth of dietary supplements from the Lebanon Co-op in early February. In an interview with The Dartmouth following the incident, Roland Adams, director of media relations for the College, said, "We treat confidentially all individual personnel matters, just as we do individual disciplinary cases involving students." Kogan has a hearing scheduled for June 4.

Dartmouth was ranked ninth in a new ranking of the United States' strongest colleges and universities for studies in international relations among those universities that offer such programs at the undergraduate level. Dartmouth was the highest-ranking institution that offered only undergraduate programs. The ranking, published in the March/April issue of the magazine Foreign Policy, is based on a survey conducted by researchers at the College of William and Mary. The survey asked over 1,000 faculty members in the United States working in the field of international relations to rank the nation's 20 best international relations programs.

The New York Times extended university students and faculty free subscriptions to TimesSelect -- an online service which gives individuals access to certain Opinion/Editorial columnists, certain news columnists and New York Times archives dating back to 1851 -- as of March 13. Subscribers can also use TimesSelect's exclusive Web tools, such as News Tracker and Times file, to create e-mail alerts about selected topics and to save articles accessed on NYTimes.com.

To qualify for a free subscription, an individual must be a university student or faculty member with a valid university email address ending in .edu. Subscribers to the New York Times are also eligible for a free subscription, while others can subscribe for a fee.