Seven arrested over Carnival weekend

A student and her inflatable duck take part in Saturday's polar bear swim.

Hanover Police arrested six Dartmouth students and one non-student this weekend, all for alcohol-related reasons. During the 2004 and 2005 Winter Carnivals, there were 18 and 11 arrests, respectively.

Safety and Security geared up for Winter Carnival by adding several foot patrols and assigning officers to various College-sponsored events. Safety and Security patrols picked up two individuals who were brought to Dick's House before being transported to DHMC for further evaluation.

In total, nine people were transported to the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center this weekend for intoxication, and one 21-year-old Dartmouth student was brought into protective custody.

There were five Good Samaritan calls this weekend, according to College Proctor and Director of Saftey and Security Harry Kinne.

"Most people we encountered were people calling us because they were concerned about the health of a friend or fellow student," Kinne said. "In the last year that is much more common, which is good."

Kinne pointed out that the Good Samaritan policy only provides immunity from College discipline and that Hanover Police may still become involved, often resulting in criminal charges,

In general, the registered parties were well attended and well run, according to Kinne. However, there were allegedly several unregistered kegs found in addition to the allotted alcohol at Sigma Nu fraternity's Friday night party. Sig Nu's '80s dance party continued as an alcohol free event after Safety and Security discovered the kegs.

According to Kinne, all possible violations of SEMP procedure are forwarded to the Organizational Adjudication Committee, which will determine what, if any, punishment will result from the incident. April Thompson of Judicial Affairs was not available for comment Sunday.

One individual who fell at a registered party received a number of stitches, but according to Kinne, no students were kept at DHMC for a long period of time and were transported back to Dick's House relatively quickly.

While it was a busy weekend, both Kinne and Hanover Police Chief Nicholas Giaccone described the weekend as commensurate to some of the more busy fall weekends.

Kinne said he was glad to see students acting in moderation and calling Safety and Security when necessary.