Rising rap artists balance college life with music careers

Johnathan Ball '08 and Simon Trabelsi '08, also known as JBall and Young Ivy, respectively, are working on individual hip-hop careers.

Both juniors now balance their school commitments with preparations to enter the professional music scene. Known respectively as Young Ivy and JBall, Trabelsi and Ball have both created solo projects and collaborated on original works under the moniker I.V. Both artists say their sounds are influenced by a multitude of artists and genres.

"I'm influenced by so many styles that it's hard to simply define mine," Ball said in an interview with The Dartmouth.

These performers' unique sounds are come out clearly during performances. Young Ivy's current solo release "Ground Up Grind Vol. I" has a lock on an edgier hip-hop sound -- rap lyrics full of innovative comparisons and word usage reminiscent of some of the most popular hip-hop artists of the day. Ball's sound tends to lie on the smoother side, with soulful R&B-style crooning forming the foundation for his pieces. With undeniable singing skills he is able to graze the edge of a harder hip-hop sound as easily as he accomplishes a seductive anthem as in his first solo album, "Bedroom Business."

Recently Young Ivy and JBall provided a crowd-pleasing, high energy ending to Kappa Kappa Kappa fraternity's "The Movement," an event that also featured slam poetry and hip-hop dancing. The two are often hired for fraternity and sorority events, and they also do collaborations with dance groups.

Trabelsi explained that music is a form of self-expression and a way to inspire listeners.

"I want to convey emotion that makes people change," he said.

Ball said that he wants his music to reach out to people who might not be emotionally forthcoming. Using his music, which reflects his own experiences, Ball wants to create a positive experience for others.

Trabelsi agreed that it's important to reflect only upon what one knows.

"I will never talk about something that's out of my grasp of life," he said. "You have to respect that you talk about what you know and need to educate the ignorant."

He does not, however, feel that all artists are meant to change people's world views.

"Everyone is not meant to be a societal leader. But you do need to be conscious of the activity that's promoted," he said.

Both cite an early introduction to music as the groundwork for their love of the art form. Ball grew up in a churchgoing family, informally singing gospel or old-school rap music with friends. Trabelsi started writing lyrics at the age of 10, freestyle rapping at 13, and at 15, was pulled on stage at a show in Sweden, where he lived for a large part of his youth. When he moved to the San Francisco Bay Area he continued to develop as an artist by working with other rising and underground rap artists, including Zion-I. Movement between both locations contributed to Trabelsi's development as the artist he is today.

"My musical persona developed as I did, because it's just me. When you go through different things, it's a reflection on how you see the world now," Trabelsi said.

Ball agreed, but said that he still felt his musical identity had room for growth, especially with regard to the creative process.

"I still think I'm developing musical personas," Ball said. "Working between rap, hip-hop and R&B makes me have a greater appreciation for songwriting. It means something because it's more challenging."

He added that he often listens to a wide variety of music as a way to study the composition of sound, something integral to his musical education, as Ball has never formally studied voice.

Trabelsi sees himself as more of a social commentator, while Ball reveals more of a passionate, relaxed and sometimes cocky side in his music. Both agree, though, that being at Dartmouth adds a layer of complexity to their aspirations. Both work on their music daily, though they may record their parts to a collaboration separately. Despite other commitments, they remain devoted to their craft.

"Music is my life," Trabelsi said, and Ball agreed.