Heorot laments probation during its busiest weekend

For decades the brothers of Chi Heorot fraternity have thrown their annual Winter Carnival Kountry Kwencher party, which even included the appearance of live farm animals, bales of hay and other festive decorations in the past. While the presence of pigs in the basement -- literal ones, that is -- has ended in recent years, the western-themed party has continued to be an important part of the Carnival's events until this year. As a result of a keg violation in November, Heorot, which typically sees most of its party traffic during Winter term, will not be able to host its infamous carousal this weekend.

Heorot member and former ski racer Christopher Ward '07 expressed the importance of the Carnival weekend to the brothers, a group that comprises many winter athletes.

"Winter Carnival is like Homecoming for the winter sports teams," he said. "Most of the house will go out and support our brothers during their events, and then enjoy celebrating their accomplishments with them when they are done competing."

Eric Yeager '07, the Heorot president, explained that the fraternity's Carnival celebration is not only popular among the brothers, but also among the student body.

"We usually have a party on Saturday night that's pretty well-attended," he said.

Most brothers have expressed disappointment that they cannot throw parties, specifically the Kountry Kwencher during this year's Winter Carnival, until Feb. 27 because of probation.

"[Probation] is a huge pain in the ass," member Kevin Swallow '09 said. "My pong skills are suffering, my dance moves are getting rusty and it's harder to wheel attractive girls at other frats."

Members, though, accept full responsibility for the violation, which quickly followed a five-week probation period the house endured this fall.

"Being on probation is unfortunate, but we dug our own hole and we have to live with it," Ward said.

Despite the cancellation of the Carnival party, there are upsides to Heorot's probation.

"It motivates our brothers to leave the house more often to party at other fraternities," Ward said. "Each year, I think that upperclassmen spend less time with their friends from other houses because it becomes a routine to just stay at their own fraternity. I'm sure most people will be making the rounds all weekend."

Ward explained that for seniors, probation is bittersweet.

"For us seniors, as disappointing as it is that we can't hang out in our own basement, it is nice to spend so much time with our other friends before we leave Dartmouth in June."