Hanover businesses stock up to prepare for weekend

While many local businesses are preparing for an increased level of traffic with the influx of thousands of alumni and visitors to Hanover this Winter Carnival, nearby residents will remain largely absent from the weekend's festivities.

Restaurants including Molly's Restaurant and Bar and the Canoe Club are expecting a larger-than-average turnout this weekend.

"Because our business runs off of what goes on at the College, we're always ready for a big weekend," Molly's manager Dan Young said.

Though Molly's will not be holding any special events over the weekend, Young is looking forward to a larger volume of students and alumni dining at the restaurant.

"We have a lot of fun with the weekend because students seem to be pretty lively that weekend," Young said.

Aside from the increase in business that the weekend entails, Young, a Hanover resident, also plans to spend time at Occom Pond with his family during Carnival.

At the Canoe Club, the bar will highlight several local microbreweries as well as a dark green martini to mark the big weekend, owner John Chapin said.

Special musical guests have also been invited to the restaurant, including two acoustic guitarists from the area on Friday night and a trio featuring Joseph Stallsmith on Saturday night. According to Chapin, alumni may know of Stallsmith, who used to own Joseph's Waterworks, a club in Norwich.

"I planned the music for that weekend knowing that this might be something returning alums might enjoy," Chapin said.

Stinson's Village Store will have extra employees working the store this weekend in order to keep up with the greater volume of customers, and will be especially vigilant regarding liquor violations.

"There'll be a lot of liquor inspectors in town, so we have to be a little more aware of little violations," owner Jack Stinson said, referring to laws such as those against underage individuals being present in the same car as a keg or an accessible source of alcohol.

Stinson said the increase in alcohol sales for this weekend is comparable to other big weekends.

"I don't see a lot of overindulgence really. It's just that there's a lot more people in town and there are many more social events, so even the more studious students get out more," Stinson said.

Stinson's will also hold a barbecue at the Occom Pond Party this weekend.

The Hanover Inn will also be having a busy Winter Carnival; its rooms are entirely sold out due in part to the large number of alumni club officers up for the weekend.

"We'll be spending the weekend dealing with the club officers, so we don't really get involved in much of the rest of the weekend's events," said Michael Hartson, the Hanover Inn rooms divisions manager.

Hartson, who grew up in West Lebanon, noted that Winter Carnival has always been an important event in the area.

"Years ago I'd come up to ski and drive around campus to take a look at all the ice sculptures in front of the fraternities and sororities," Hartson said, referring to the discontinued ice sculpture competition. "The sculptures were truly unbelievable. The magic of the weekend was visible all over campus."

Other local businesses including Bella and the Dartmouth Co-op are preparing for a pick up in foot traffic over the weekend.

The Co-op will be selling Winter Carnival shot glasses, t-shirts and posters for the big weekend, and store manager Joel Strycharz is expecting more customers than usual.

Sue Mclaughry, a manager at Bella, said she expects more people shopping over the weekend.

"We're just trying to get more people in the store. We've got winter sales and spring clothes coming in," Mclaughry said.

Aside from the growing anticipation for the weekend among Hanover businesses, local residents maintain limited involvement and interest in the weekend.

Lizzy Hennessey '09, also a Hanover resident, distinguished Winter Carnival from the other big weekends.

"The town is more involved in Homecoming and Green Key than it is in Winter Carnival," Hennessey said. "There's a huge influx of people during Homecoming for the bonfire and the outdoor live music and nice weather of Green Key makes it popular."

Aside from local involvement in the events on the skiway and the visibility of the snow sculpture, Hennessey said Hanover residents remain relatively uninvolved in the weekend.

Jen Taylor '08, who grew up in Norwich, Vt., said she was always aware of Carnival because of the skiing events that took place over the weekend.

"It definitely wasn't as big a deal as Homecoming, but people still knew about it," Taylor said. "Mostly people got really excited about what the snow sculpture was going to be."

Hanover resident Ben Young '10 shared similar memories.

"For me, Winter Carnival was mostly about the building of the snow sculpture, at least that was the most visible aspect of it," Young said. "Passing through campus I never really noticed all that much different."

Eli Mitchell '10, who attended middle school in Hanover, recalls attending the polar bear swim and the cross-country ski race years ago.

"I noticed the skiers dressed in tutus and sparkles falling all over the course. I just thought they were bad skiers," she said. "I didn't realize they were drunk during the noon race. My middle school mind never went there."