Daily Debriefing

World-renowned tenor Ian Bostridge will not perform with the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra at the Hopkins Center on Friday as was originally expected, due to an illness that prevents him from traveling to the United States from London. Instead, American tenor Stanford Olsen will perform Britten's Serenade for Tenor, Horn and Strings.

A recent study by the American Journal of Public Health suggests that pedestrian-friendly communities lead to more active senior citizens. Though researchers cannot yet determine a correlation to obesity, author and Dartmouth professor Ethan Berke noted in the study that the results uncover an association between where older adults live and their ability to stay fit. With the help of a team of University of Washington urban planning specialists, Berke discovered a way to measure neighborhood "walkability" by looking at 200 factors, including slope of the land and proximity to grocery stores. He then applied this measurement to 936 Seattle residents between 65 and 97 and found that men in walkable communities were six times more likely to engage in walking, and women were 75 percent more likely to engage in walking.

The senior class deans released Tuesday the names of the 12 elected members of the Senior Executive Committee, who organizes events surrounding Commencement. During the election process, each member of the Class of 2007 was allowed to vote for up to 20 students. The members of the Class of 2007 chosen, in order of their vote totals, were Jacob Crumbine, Pooja Viswanath, John Valdez, David Zubricki, Julie Chang, Jesse Shaw, Luke Antal, Cristina Churchill, Sam Routhier, Esther Perman, Lorraine Buhannic and Christopher Chan. Shala Byers '07, who achieved the 13th highest vote total, said she believes that this group of students effectively represents the senior class. "I think that there's a good cross-section of people who have been in positions before; they know the administration and what vehicles to go through," she said. "There is also a good mix of people." Before delving into graduation-related tasks such as planning Class Day and selecting the class marshals for Commencement, the SEC will meet to select the final eight members of its committee, a change from last year, when a group of administrators were responsible for selecting the remaining members.