Applications for Class of 2011 rise by 2 percent

Applications for admission to the Class of 2011 increased by approximately two percent over last year, marking the fourth consecutive year Dartmouth has seen an upward trend and the first time the majority of applicants are women.

"Compared to four years ago, applications are up by 21 percent," Dean of Admissions Karl Furstenberg said of the 14,159 total applicants this year. "In general, it seems like a pretty good year for admissions."

Female applications comprise 50.4 percent of this year's applicant pool with a total of 7,131 applicants. Applications from women have increased by 31 percent over the past four years.

Despite some initial concern that the series of racially charged incidents that occurred last fall could deter minority applicants from applying to the College, applications from students of color have held relatively steady from last year.

"We were watching these numbers closely because of all that happened during the fall on campus. There was concern in the student community about what prospective students were going to think," Furstenberg said.

Admissions saw a slight increase in the number of black applicants and slight decreases in Asian, Latino and Native American applicants.

"Overall student of color numbers are virtually the same as last year, and last year was a record year," Furstenberg said. "These numbers are encouraging, but we still have a long way to go."

Another notable change in this year's applicant profile is a substantial jump in international applications, up 10 percent from last year to 2,088 applicants. International applications have risen steadily by a total of 30 percent over the last four years.

"We're doing more international outreach and I think that Dartmouth's reputation around the world is growing," Furstenberg said.

Furstenberg attributed the overall increase in applications to the combined effect of more students applying to college in general and increased recognition of top universities.

"We continue to be very aggressive in our outreach to different populations and in carrying the message about Dartmouth around the country and around the world," Furstenberg said. "Everybody is going after the strongest students and we're right in the mix for the very best."

Academic credentials of applicants to the Class of 2011 remain similar to last year's with applicants scoring a mean of 681 on the SAT verbal, 699 on the SAT math and 681 on the SAT writing.

Some of Dartmouth's peer institutions saw fluctuations in their application rates this year. At Princeton University, the number of applications increased from last year by 8 percent. Harvard University saw a 0.7 percent rise over last year, reaching a record of 22,920 applicants. Applications also increased at Columbia University, Cornell University, Brown University and the University of Pennsylvania. Of the Ivies, only Yale University saw a decline, with 9.7 percent fewer applicants than last year.

According to Furstenberg, the admissions office plans to admit about 2,100 students to the Class of 2011, including the 382 students already admitted to the College through the early decision program. Admissions also expects this year's yield rate to remain comparable to that of recent years at about 50 percent.

Once decisions have been mailed, the College plans to reach out to admitted students through programs such as "Dimensions," which invites admitted students to campus in the spring. Furstenberg believes that visiting Dartmouth is often a key component in students' decisions to matriculate once they have been accepted.

"We'll roll out the red carpet and open the place up to people," Furstenberg said. "I think that when we get people to campus to experience Dartmouth first-hand, it works for us."