Man sentenced in murder of alum

Percey Jordan Jr. was sentenced last week to 65 years for the murder of retired journalist David Rosenbaum '63. A Washington, D.C., Superior Court convicted Jordan of first-degree murder, conspiracy to commit robbery and robbery of a senior citizen, last October.

Jordan's co-defendant and cousin Michael C. Hamlin pled guilty to second-degree murder late last year and was sentenced to 26 years in prison in exchange for his testimony that Jordan struck Rosenbaum on the head with a plastic pipe.

Defense attorney Michael Starr, who stated his intent to file an appeal of the conviction, argued at the hearing that Jordan should receive the minimum sentence of 30 years in jail because of his client's assertion that Rosenbaum's death was accidental.

The district attorney, however, argued that Jordan should receive the maximum penalty -- life without the possibility of parole -- because of his previous criminal history, the severity of the crime and his failure to demonstrate remorse. Jordan declined to make a statement at the hearing.

Jordan, 43, will not be eligible for release until 2072.

"We believe justice has been served in this terrible tragedy," said Channing Phillips, spokesperson for the U.S. Attorney's Office.

Members of Rosenbaum's family echoed the DA's sentiments but said that no amount jail time for Jordan would be enough.

"I can't say there's any closure," Rosenbaum's brother Marcus told an Associated Press reporter after the hearing. "How could we ever see any closure about the death of our brother?"

Rosenbaum died Jan. 8, 2006, at the age of 63, two days after he was assaulted and robbed while walking near his home in Washington, D.C. Investigators determined that several errors in Rosenbaum's medical care may have contributed to his death, and his family has filed a $20 million lawsuit against the District of Columbia and hospital officials.

Prior to his death, Rosenbaum had retired from his position at The New York Times where he worked as an editor and a reporter for 35 years. During his tenure there, he served as the chief congressional correspondent, the chief domestic policy correspondent, the chief economic correspondent and assistant news editor. Rosenbaum received the prestigious Polk Award in 1990 for his coverage of the first Bush administration's tax increases.

In 1996, Rosenbaum was also given The Dartmouth's annual alumnus award for distinct service in journalism and public affairs.

While at Dartmouth, Rosenbaum majored in government, was a member of Kappa Kappa Kappa fraternity and played both squash and tennis.