Daily Debriefing

A new book by Dinesh D'Souza '83, The Enemy At Home: The Cultural Left and Its Responsibility for 9/11, has proved to be especially controversial for the conservative writer, no stranger to controversy himself. In the book, the former editor of The Dartmouth Review writes that a variety of American groups have attempted to bring alleged left-wing initiatives, ranging from contraception to feminism and gay rights, to the Middle East. D'Souza asserts that this provokes the Muslim world into viewing America as a threat to its moral values. Many literary critics have decried D'Souza's work for its alleged insensitivity. "His book is a national disgrace, a sorry example of a publishing culture more concerned with the sensational than the sensible," wrote New York Times book critic Alan Wolfe. D'Souza stands behind the text. "Contrary to the accusations of Alan Wolfe and others, I have no sympathy for bin Laden or the Islamic radicals," he wrote in The Washington Post. "But I do respect the concerns of traditional Muslims, the majority in the Muslim world."

A famous patient of Dr. Dean Richardson '74 has died. Barbaro, the four-year-old horse who collapsed during the Preakness Stakes last year, was euthanized after he developed complications from his original injury and the resulting surgery. Since his fall, the Kentucky Derby winner has been under Richardson's care. The Dartmouth alumus currently serves as the chief of surgery at the University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine. While doctors were optimistic about Barbaro's recovery over the past eight months, recent obstacles, including an abscess on his hind hoof, hindered the colt's recovery. "We just reached a point where it was going to be difficult for him to go on without pain," co-owner Roy Jackson said to the Associated Press. "It was the right decision, it was the right thing to do. We said all along if there was a situation where it would become more difficult for him then it would be time."

CPR and First Aid classes are now being offered to everyone affiliated with the Tuck School of Business. Interested participants can choose between three CPR classes and two First Aid classes, for which Dartmouth EMS charges $10 each. Ben Renda Tu'08, who implemented the system, hopes that Tuck may ultimately offer financial support for the program. "I think it's important enough for the College to put significant resources behind it," Renda said. He added that he considers CPR training the more important of the two because it serves more as a life-saving measure. After two incidents of delayed ambulance responses to emergency calls, Renda realized the importance of CPR and First Aid certification and sought to bring it to Tuck. He also intends to run self-defense classes through Tuck.