Daily Debriefing

Maggie Shnayerson '03 was named Director of Public Relations for the Village Voice newspaper, according to a Jan. 2 press release. She will assume responsibility for promoting both the editorial content and individual staff members of the alt-weekly. Besides acting as a liason between the editorial and business departments, she will plan promotional events and partnerships in conjunction with the marketing department. Prior to joining the Village Voice, Shnayerson worked at Time Magazine, the New York Sun, the New York Post and and several other newspapers.

DarTV users should notice additional features following a recent College upgrade to the newest version of Video Furnace, the software that drives the campus-wide television system. The upgrade adds to DarTV a new service called Video on Demand, which will allow Computing Services to "capture" a program on a channel and replay it at a different time on a channel of its choosing. In addition, the upgrade has set the groundwork for closed-captioning and HDTV on set-top boxes which the College is introducing this term. Upon arrival, the set-top boxes will undergo testing and evaluation, according to Director of Network Services Frank Archambeault.

James Moor, professor-emeritus and chair of the philosophy department, co-authored "The Precautionary Principle in Nanotechnology" with John Weckert, a senior lecturer in information technology in the School of Information Studies at Charles Stuart University. The paper was a part of a symposium on nanoethics to be published in the International Journal of Applied Philosophy. According to the Nanoethics Group, an independent organization for nanotechnology studies, it is the first symposium of its kind to be published in a leading academic philosophy journal, and is testament to the growing attention surrounding the new field.