Trustees to dedicate new facilities, discuss plans

The Dartmouth Board of Trustees will discuss the College mission statement and plans for new facilities at its Fall term meeting this weekend in Hanover. The meeting, which began Thursday evening and will end Saturday afternoon, will be more brief than usual, as the 18 Board members will also participate in the dedication ceremonies for Kemeny Hall and the Haldeman Center.

College President James Wright plans to discuss potential mission statement revisions with Board members, as he expects to present a new statement to the Dartmouth community Winter term.

To prepare for the statement Wright met with and received input from faculty, students and staff about what they believe distinguishes Dartmouth from other institutions.

"He has been struck in particular with how often people mentioned the relationships that bound them to Dartmouth," Vice President of Public Affairs William H. Walker said. "He believes there is a profound sense of shared community here, and a strong sense of student focus and commitment to academic excellence."

A report issued in April by the management consulting firm McKinsey and Co. also recommended that Dartmouth expand the statement.

The discussion of new facilities projects, including a new life sciences building, is also on the trustees' agenda for this weekend's meetings. The Board will discuss creating a new visual arts center, dining facilities, Tuck School of Business' living and learning complex and the Burham Soccer Facility.

Vice President for Development Carolyn Pelzel will speak to the Board about the progress of the Campaign for the Dartmouth Experience. Trustees will also attend a lunch meeting with the faculty of the Thayer School of Engineering.

The Board also plans to tour the Tuck Mall Residence Halls and the McLaughlin Cluster, where its members intend to have informal conversations with students living there and receive feedback about the new residences.