Daily Debriefing

Congressman Michael Capuano '73 (D-Mass.) was appointed to head Nancy Pelosi's (D-Calif.) transition team for when she becomes Speaker of the House in January. The Boston Globe expects Capuano to have a pivotal role in structuring the House agenda for the beginning of the term. Capuano has been the representative of Massachusetts' 8th Congressional district -- which encompasses Cambridge, Somerville and parts of Boston -- since 1998 and is known as one of the more outspoken up-and-coming Democrats in the House. Capuano advocates intervention in Sudan, the withdrawal of troops from Iraq with possible redeployment in the future, and the expansion of funding for public health care.

The annual "Open Doors" study published Tuesday by the Institute of International Education shows that total enrollment of international students stabilized in the past year following two years of decline. While American colleges' ability to attract foreign students was hurt by tougher visa rules and increased competition from other countries after Sept. 11, this trend seems to have ceased. Data from the most recent survey found that more than half of American colleges reported increases in international enrollments, while only 20 percent reported a decline. International students from India, China and South Korea account for over one-third of the total. Likewise, the study found that number of U.S. students rose eight percent in 2005. American students are particularly showing increased interest in non-English speaking countries such as China, India, Argentina and Brazil.

A gene that greatly affects muscle metabolism and performance has been identified and tested by a team of researchers from the Dartmouth Medical School and the College. The study of the gene, which activates the enzyme AMP-activated protein kinase, or AMPK, demonstrates that the enzyme directly contributes to enhancing muscle performance and that through genetic alteration this enzyme's effects can be maximized. Researchers found that genetically-altered mice showed characteristics of mice that had engaged in extensive exercise programs without ever physically training and exhibited signs of increased endurance and strength. The findings have vast implications for the treatment of muscle diseases, muscle deterioration in the elderly and improving performance of endurance athletes. The study, led by Lee Witters, the Eugene W. Leonard 1921 Professor of Medicine and Biochemisty at the Dartmouth Medical School and a biology professor at the College, was published in the Nov. 14 online issue of the American Journal of Physiology: Endocrinology and Metabolism.