Daily Debriefing

Lawyer and Democratic activist Joseph Millimet '36 died Friday at the Pearl Manor nursing home. He co-founded the Manchester firm Devine & Millimet in 1947, oversaw the New Hampshire Bar in 1962-63, chaired the state constitutional commission through the 1960s, '70s and '80s, and also counseled Former Gov. John King. From his work representing a University of New Hampshire professor who had invited a socialist to speak in class to his work representing Sanders Associates in an anti-trust suit against IBM, Millimet was known as a prominent legal figure dedicated to public service. He died at the age of 92 after suffering from Parkinson's disease for several years. A service will be held on Nov. 10 at 11 a.m. in Brookside Congregational Church.

The Christmas Market with a Difference will be held Thursday, Friday and Saturday at the Church of Christ. The sale will feature totebags and handbags constructed from recycled plastic bags made by a Women's Cooperative in the Dominican Republic. Other items from around the world will be available, and proceeds will go towards international relief efforts.

Warren Wilder, chairman of the former Portsmouth Hospital, is supporting his successors at the Foundation for Seacoast Health who are taking legal action against parent company Portsmouth Regional Hospital. The Hospital Corp. of America has the right of first refusal to repurchase the hospital if it or HCA is sold or merged, according to the original sale agreement. HCA's directors approved a $33 billion leveraged buyout, raising concerns about the focus of its new owners. HCA shareholders will vote on the purchase Nov. 16. Wilder worries new owners may focus on profits and debt instead of health care, and supports Portsmouth Regional Hospital's management to bring the issue to court against HCA. The original contract between the foundation and the hospital stipulated that the agreement would be in effect until 20 years after the death of the last member of Dartmouth's Class of 2000.