Quick FIx: Pong Playlist

The music I listen to, like yours, probably, has gone through several distinct phases. Sometimes the switch is effortless; sometimes you get fed up with every band writing the same song and latch onto the first new sound you hear. These songs are my favorite since a shift in taste about two years ago. The list is far from complete.

1. Danielson -- "Did I Step On Your Trumpet?"

Every summer I adopt an album that sustains me for the duration of the season. It only took me one listen to decide that the new album "Ships" from Danielson would do it for 06X.

1. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah -- "The Skin Of My Yellow Country Teeth"

Its intro is so pleasing. The buzzy keyboard riff dies off slightly at the end of every measure, each time beckoning another round of the simple, invigorating drum beat. A higher-pitched guitar riff mixed to sound unbalanced in stereo butts in next and the bass-line fits perfectly underneath the guitar riff's dissonance. Little more is added (little more is needed) except for CYHSY's token wavering vocals. Because of the vocals, CYHSY might be difficult to listen to at first, but they'll grow and grow and grow on you.

1. Arcade Fire -- "Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)"

Arcade Fire's album "Funeral" has been out long enough that not much of an explanation is needed here; the regular thump under layered, despairing vocals gets me every time.

1. Sun Kil Moon -- "Lily and Parrots"

The chord progression that opens "Lily and Parrots" is rugged and methodical. The vocals have a slight nasal quality and float in and out over the same guitar throughout the song. And that's all it takes to make this song a great one.

1. Animal Collective -- "Banshee Beat"

I often zone out to this eight-minute-plus song on repeat and wake up drooling on my keyboard with half of my ass asleep.

1. Sunset Rubdown -- "Shut Up I Am Dreaming Of Places Where Lovers Have Wings"

Sunset Rubdown is my favorite band from my most recent phase. The bust-outs at 3:13 and 5:09 are my favorites of any song, ever. Spencer Krug, the band's singer and creative drive, is all over the indie scene right now. Look for him on Swan Lake's upcoming album "Beast Moans" to be released on Nov. 21.