New centers approach completion

Kemeny Hall and the Haldeman Center are scheduled to open by Nov. 4.

"The construction has gone well. We have been rushing to get all the occupants into the building as early as possible, but by now everyone has moved in," Provost Barry Scherr said.

Jack Wilson, associate director of planning for OPDC, noted that a few last-minute "punch list" items remain, including interior finishes such as painting, trimwork and the installation of electrical devices.

"The major impetus for the Kemeny Hall and Haldeman Center buildings was to create a new wing for the mathematics department," Wilson said.

The mathematics department was previously spread among three separate buildings that were deteriorating and increasingly technologically out of date.

The completed Kemeny Hall will overlook a new outdoor public space created in part by the demolition of Bradley and Gerry Halls.

It will reunite the department and provide much-needed classrooms, labs and discussion space for student-faculty collaboration, according to the OPDC.

Kemeny Hall encompasses approximately 60,000 gross square feet, and was designed with a variety of formal and informal spaces, including six classrooms that can accommodate 24 to 110 people, five conference and seminar rooms, and nine labs for faculty and students.

The new offices accommodate 22 faculty, 3 emeriti faculty, 15 research faculty and staff, and 24 graduate students.

There are laboratory and lounge spaces for both undergraduate and graduate students, as well as administrative offices for the math department.

Kemeny Hall honors former president John Kemeny, who built the mathematics department into a national model, co-authored the BASIC computer language, and presided over the College's transition to coeducation.

During the hall's planning process, Dartmouth decided to expand upon the original project.

"It became apparent that the new wing would be a good home for the three other departments -- The Dickey Center, Humanities Institute and Ethics Institute," Wilson said. "We have been very fortunate to receive such generous donations that made the project possible."

According to OPDC, placing these three programs together "creates opportunities among the centers for interdisciplinary initiatives."

At approximately 30,000 gross square feet, the Haldeman Center will also provide conference space for several of the College's departments and programs.

"The new buildings are incredibly open and light, and are built to be very energy efficient," Wilson said.

While the buildings stylistically keep with the classical elements of Dartmouth architecture, with their red brick exteriors and stone accents, Wilson noted the use of new technologies and construction techniques.

"Something particularly exciting is the use of high performance windows, built with incredible insulating technologies to greatly reduce the amount of energy used to heat the building," Wilson said.

The construction cost for both buildings totals approximately $26 million.