Dog Day 'Puppies' pose a triple threat to improv scene

Traditionally referred to as
Traditionally referred to as

Under the leadership of president Casey Ley '07, the six returning members of Dog Day hosted auditions for 50 talented applicants during orientation. Based on their ability to embody characters and interact with others on stage in a dynamic way, Ben Gifford '10, Tanner Tananbaum '10 and Tyler Quinn '10 earned the status of "puppies," new members of Dog Day. Ley explained, "Improv can be a slow burn and these three were on fire the longest." Initiated as a puppy last year, Annabel Seymour '09 raved that the new litter is "fantastic."

Gifford, Quinn and Tananbaum are getting to know and love Dog Day during the group's three weekly practice sessions, frequent trips to the buffet at the Jewel of India, and hanging out and partying on the weekends. They also look forward to their trip to New York in November for group bonding.

"We have to hang out in order to feel comfortable in rehearsal. Also, understanding our actual dynamic will allow us to create strong character dynamics," Gifford explained. According to Tananbaum, long form improvisation (which consists of character-based plots) in particular "relies on teamwork and the willingness to initiate and collaborate with others." Tananbaum recommended that the group have an orgy because "seeing everyone naked would bring [them] all closer together."

The puppies debunk the expectation that they are the same offstage as they are during shows. "There is a misconception that Dog Day people are always 'on,' but we're real people too. We love to make people laugh, but there is much more to us than that one facet," Quinn explained. Gifford shared that his personality on stage is "distinct and only comes across when [he's] joking around with his friends."

Tananbaum feels that improv is "a side of his personality" that he has expressed ever since childhood when he learned his first one-liners. He likes to be ridiculous, but not at the expense of getting his ass kicked.

Although the puppies are best known for their improv shenanigans, they are well rounded off the stage as well. For example, in Quinn's "free" time, he sings for the Dodecaphonics, studies Chinese, and solicits tall, single women to poke him on Facebook. Gifford participates in Soul Scribes and hangs out at Novak Cafe, and Tananbaum plays club hockey, conducts a weekly radio show, and touches the fire.

Just like the puppies, improv itself is not only about being funny. As Seymour explained, "A really wise person once told me that the key to being good at improv is to 'f*ck your fear.' Being funny in improv has less to do with well-constructed jokes or clever punch lines than being balls-out fearless." In that vein, Gifford speaks for the group in saying the puppies enjoy being "utterly ridiculous." Tananbaum adds, "In order to achieve heart-stopping laughter, the back and forth participation between the group and the audience must be strong."

These lovable pups will bring a lot to Dog Day and in exchange, Dog Day will give a lot to them. For Seymour, participating in Dog Day has defined her experience at Dartmouth. She explained that the puppies are joining a "family at school of hilarious and fundamentally insane people." In other words, they should have no problem fitting in. Ley feels that the "group has never been stronger than it is now."

"I think Tyler, Tanner and Ben are going to rule this place some day. Also, they are not too sore on the eyes," Seymour said. Now that the puppies are exposed, go check them out at the Puppy Show on Tuesday, Oct. 24, in the Midfayer basement at 9 p.m.

Quinn said that the audience can expect to see "three strapping young men who will almost invariably make fools of themselves" in a skit that will be both written and performed by the puppies. Tananbaum said we can expect "Mel Gibson and sex crimes," and Gifford instructed everyone to "bring an extra pair of pants."