Daily Debriefing

Approximately 35 students attended the Dartmouth Progressives' second annual Activism Workshop on Saturday. The event targeted students who are interested in creating an organization or holding an event. There were four different one-hour workshops: Event Planning, which taught students how to create, fund, advertise and run an event; Grassroots Activism, which explained how to start a new organization; Working With The Big Boys, which discussed how to intern with an established organization; and Activism 101, which discussed the logistics of overseeing an organization.

"One of the best changes from last year's workshop is the activism handbooks we gave out, which had important information including a summary on what was presented in the workshops, important contacts and tips on publicity," Marissa Knodel '09, a speaker at the workshop, said.

The Tuck School of Business hosted its fifth annual entrepreneurship conference, Greener Ventures, this weekend to promote entrepreneurship in the Dartmouth community. The conference began on Friday in Lebanon, N.H. with the opening of Dartmouth Regional Technology Center. This year's theme was "Risk: Winning and Losing in Entrepreneurship." Attendees learned how to handle the risks of entrepreneurship by recognizing and managing them and preparing to deal with possible failure. The conference included workshops on creating a startup and networking events with Dartmouth startup companies. David Mott, '86, who is the vice chairman, president and CEO of MedImmune, delivered the conference's keynote address. Also in attendance were Charles Corfield, president and CEO of SandCherry, Inc.; Ed Diffendal, founder and CEO of MRail Technologies; Dick Green, cofounder and managing director of Granite State Angels; and Tillman Gergross and Charles Hutchinson, cofounders of GlycoFi, Inc.

Jay B. Johnston '65 Tu'67 was elected to the FineTooth board of directors on Friday. FineTooth helps companies manage contracts by converting paper contracts into web-based intelligence with text mining and linguistic search technologies. It currently manages over 50 million documents for companies around the world. Before his new appointment, Johnston was chairman of QuestTek Innovations, LLC. He has also held numerous positions with Abbot Laboratories.

"Jay is a strong addition to our board," FineTooth President and COO Jamie Lagarde said. "He has outstanding experience in innovation and product development, and we're looking forward to having him on the team and we will definitely benefit from his experience."