Daily Debriefing

Sally McCoy '82 became the CEO and president of CamelBak Products on Monday. In the past 20 years, McCoy worked for similar big names in outdoor equipment such as North Face and Sierra Designs. She also co-founded Silver Steep Partners, an investment banking firm that specialized in dealing with outdoor recreation companies. After her appointment, McCoy commented that CamelBak is excited for what lies ahead, and is looking to expand its market to include more military and government personnel with high tech accessories and canteens.

Dartmouth professor Pamela Crossley will be featured as part of a six member team of professors chosen to write a geo-political, cultural and historical textbook for Americans between the age of 18 and 24. The textbook, called "The Earth and its Peoples," is half of a two-book series published by Houghton Mifflin to increase geo-political awareness following a National Geographic-Roper Public Affairs study that showed that 46 percent of Americans 18 to 24 years old do not have sufficient exposure to political, cultural, and environmental history of their country nor the world outside of the United States. Other contributing professors credited on the project come from Columbia University, Carleton College, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Tufts, and other prestigious academic institutions.

Prominent Harvard economics professor Andrei Shleifer lost his honorary title in light of a recent Department of Justice investigation into ethics violations regarding Shleifer's relationship with the Russian government. Shleifer and former Harvard professor Jonathon Hay were originally paid under a U.S. Agency for International Development grant to advise the new Russian economy on the privatization. However, it was revealed by the Justice Department that Shleifer held personal financial investments in Russia while simultaneously advising the Russian government. In addition to losing his title as the "Whipple V.N. Jones Professor of Economics" Shleifer agreed to paying $2 million to the U.S. government as part of the settlement to the five-year-long lawsuit while Harvard will pay $26.5 million. Although his current title is simply professor of economics, his salary will remain the same, and his tenure at Harvard has not been compromised. Some leading professors and administrators, including former Harvard President Lawrence Summers, have come to his defense, while others found the punishment to be less than fitting.