Daily Debriefing

After serving as a Democratic representative for the Oregon House District 36 in the southwest Portland area for three terms, Mary Nolan '76 is currently campaigning for a fourth term against her libertarian opponent Frank Dane. Nolan is a strong supporter of defending civil liberties, protecting the environment, and improving public schools. She holds a firm position against Ballot Measure 43, which would outlaw abortions for minors without prior parental notification. She also opposes Measure 87, a proposition that would ban sex shops and limit free speech. Nolan has 12 years of experience in public service, which include serving as Portland Director of Environmental Services. She also has 12 years of business experience in business development, electronics design, manufacturing and financial management. She is currently the president and owner of an electronics company.

Robert M. Sack, co-owner of Israel Sack, Inc., died on Oct. 2 at the age of 79. Sack managed the firm with his brothers Harold Sack '32 and Albert Sack from 1952 until the firm's closing. Israel Sack, Inc has donated an installation of American furniture to the Hood Museum, which is displayed in the Israel Sack Gallery for American Art. Robert is survived by his brother Albert, nieces and nephews. Israel Sack, Inc. was founded by Robert's father, Israel Sack, in Boston in 1905 and developed into one of the most respected American antique dealing businesses in the world. In 1996, the Sack family was awarded the Henry Francis du Pont Award for outstanding contribution to the American Arts by the Winterthur Museum. This marked the first time this prestigious award was presented to a dealer.

Michael Sherman Tu'92 recently became the new chief financial officer for Endocyte Inc., a biotechnology company currently developing products to treat cancer and other serious diseases. Before joining Endocyte Inc., Sherman was a vice president of finance and strategic planning at Guidant Corporation, a company that designs cardiovascular medical products. He also worked in business development, internal audit, and treasury at Eli Lily, another corporation in the pharmaceutical industry. During his time at Tuck he received a masters in business administration and graduated as a Tuck Scholar.