Daily Debriefing

Michael Sullivan, author of the new children's book Escapade Johnson and Mayhem at Mount Moosilauke, was in Portsmouth on Wednesday as a part of a promotional book-signing tour. Escapade Johnson and Mayhem at Mount Moosilauke is the story of 10-year-old Escapade and his fifth-grade class' eventful field trip to Mount Moosilauke. This is the first in a series of children's books with 16 tentative releases scheduled over the next eight years. The series is geared toward children between the ages of 10 and 13. The second book in the series, Escapade Johnson and the Coffee Shop of the Living Dead, is slated to come out in April 2007. Sullivan is also the author and publisher of several books for educators and teaches folklore at Plymouth College and library science at Simmons College. He is a chess teacher, an origami master, a storyteller, a juggler and an avid climber of Mount Moosilauke.

Assistant U.S. Attorney John C. Hueston '86, the lawyer who co-led the prosecution of former Enron Chairman Kenneth Lay, announced Wednesday that he will return to California to become a partner at law firm Irell & Manella next month. The firm specializes in business litigation and is based out of Newport Beach and Los Angeles. What Hueston would do to follow up the prosecution of Kenneth Lay and Jeffrey Skilling has been the subject of much speculation in prominent legal circles over the past few months. Hueston follows several other members of the Enron task force who have chosen to join the private sector. Irell & Manella appealed to Hueston because of its national presence and its successful track record in trying high-profile business cases, including white-collar defense and securities litigation, Hueston told the Los Angeles Times this week.

The New England Journal of Medicine conducted an audio interview with Elliot Fisher, professor of medicine at Dartmouth Medical School, and Karen Davis, president of the Commonwealth Fund, on Sept. 28. The interview discussed a new report issued by the Institute Of Medicine, of which both Fisher and Davis are members. The report, "Rewarding Provider Performance: Aligning Incentives in Medicine," examines pay-for-performance programs and their usefulness in Medicare. The report recommends that Medicare develop a new pay-for-performance system that looks at different performance areas, including quality of clinical care, patient-centered care and efficiency.