Daily Debriefing

Student Assembly overwhelmingly approved a "Statement of Support for the Sexual Assault and Gender Violence Awareness Campaign" at Tuesday night's meeting. The legislation endorses the Ad Hoc Committee which was previously created to address issues of sexual violence.

An amendment changed the language of the legislation to a statement of support by eliminating $1,000 in funding for the committee granted in the original proposal.

The committee aims to raise awareness for issues of sexual violence on campus and may bring speakers to Dartmouth to address these topics. The committee will also explore the option of creating a zoning map to indicate areas where sexual violence has occurred on campus, an issue which was featured heavily in the campaign of Tim Andreadis '07 last spring.

Close to 100 percent of members of the Class of 2006 were "generally" or "very" happy with faculty accessibility outside of the classroom, extracurricular offerings at the College, and their overall undergraduate experience, according to a recently released survey. Approximately 85 percent of respondents also replied that they would urge prospective students to choose the Dartmouth.

"The senior survey is one of our most valuable instruments in assessing our progress," College President James Wright said. "What our students are telling us about their aspirations and what they are saying about the educations they have just received is informative and even inspirational. It gives us cause to celebrate, but it will not let us be complacent."

DFA Canada, an index fund provider based out of Vancouver, will soon surpass $1 billion in holdings. The company operates according to principles rooted in the research of Ken French, who is the DFA head of investment policy and the Carl E. and Catherine M. Heidt Professor of Finance at Dartmouth. At a conference in Toronto last week, French spoke to the company's "core" index funds in Canada, the United States and other countries. He explained that DFA's core portfolios are auto-stabilizing for the most part because they are heavily value market portfolios. French also serves as an advisory editor to the "Journal of Financial Economics."